Why do you state your belief as fact?

I always try to make it a point to say "MY belief is . . . " before I make any religious statement, because I am fully aware that my beliefs aren't everyones, and I refuse to say a belief is a fact.

So, why do I see so many people on here state their belief as a fact?

And I have seen every belief system do this, from Christan and Atheist to Pagans, Muslims and everything in between.

What makes you so certain that your BELIEF is FACT?
Why can't you just admit that it's only a BELIEF?

I'm just wondering about this . . .

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 11:05 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• lol Idk why does it matter, you believe what you believe. They believe what they believe.
    Rebeccaroe

Answer by Rebeccaroe at 11:09 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Well, that's kinda my point . . .
    To me, stating that your belief is a fact is kinda like trying to force them on another . . . know what I mean?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:12 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I know what you mean but most people will try to force their beliefs on others, and some just say it cause they want people to understand what they believe.
    Rebeccaroe

Answer by Rebeccaroe at 11:16 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Because each person believes that their's is FACT and the others are false.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on May. 1, 2009

• lol - if people didn't believe it was a fact, then they wouldn't believe it :)

But there's nothing wrong with saying "my belief is..."

I don't see a problem with people answering either way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I try to preface my statements with "I believe", "I think", "I feel", etc. but, sometimes during the course of responding to an answer (especailly if I responded multiple times) I leave that part out. i definitely don't mean to impose my beliefs on others. I think sometimes people state thier beliefs as facts because a question is asking for thier opinion, so it might not seem necessary to say "I think, believe, feel...". And sometimes people are just ignorant of the fact that others may take offense when they openly claim thier belief IS fact or comprises the only REAL, TRUE, or RELEVANT, view on a topic. I find it annoying at times but, it depends on the context.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:26 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I guess some people see thier beliefs as facts. That is what they have been taught. I don't agree with that philosophy, but is is their issue to deal with.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:29 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I don't "believe" in anything that has no evidence. If it's something that's so obvious and has been proven by science countless times, then I'm stating it as fact (like evolution). I'm not going to say "I believe gravity exists", that's stupid, it does. If it's a scientific theory that is hard to prove, on the other hand, then I will not state it as fact, I will state that "in my opinion" this theory is more likely to be true.

I agree with some of the other answers though too. If you believe it, then you should see it as fact, otherwise, why would you believe it???
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:37 AM on May. 1, 2009

• My belief in God is a fact. I have been proven countless times he exists before i ever had the thought of becoming a Christian. To imply that other religions my be right would not be spreading the truth. I would not be doing what i am supposed to. If someone feels that I am pushy. I cannot help that. Christianity is my life, and I will not change that for anyone. Especially by stating the facts found in the Bible. If they do not want to listen they can leave or ignore me. By doing so they are proving to me that the message was not for them. If they reply then they were supposed to hear it no matter their response. GB
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 11:45 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I try to say IMO as much as I can. I know I don't always do that. I think insinuating you are 100% correct is arrogant and immature.

We are all entitled to our different beliefs but no one can prove anything. Even when it comes to some scientific aspects, nothing is 100% factual.

I know a lot of people think just because the Bible said so or other books said so makes it factual but it doesn't. I believe my beliefs are true but at the same time they aren't factual until I die and see if they are or not! And the same goes for EVERYONE. That is part of the beauty of our life's journey.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:48 AM on May. 1, 2009