• In the Spotlight:

How much money do you give to your church?

Just curious...wondering how you all determine how much/how often to give at church? My husband and I are just starting to go to church again and are going to start sending our child to a parochial school...we thought we should start to give money to the church but were unsure how much...we can actually set it up to pay online monthly which I thought was pretty cool...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The bible calls for 10% of your income I believe it is..
    But we usually give between 10-20 a week. We need to start giving more.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 11:12 AM on May. 1, 2009

• wow how crazy anyway its suposed to be 10% of your earnings so take it from there well 10% is the tyth (sorry if i spelled it wrong) and anything beyond that is from your heart.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Well, I've never heard of online tithing . . . LOL, that's interesting.

I think you should give what you and DH are comfortable with. And remember, tithing isn't always about money. You can donate time, clothes, food, talents . . . If you're doing it for God, it's still a tithe.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:13 AM on May. 1, 2009

• we give 10% and have definitely been blessed by it. Our church also has options to give money that goes straight to funds set up to support missionaries or for welfare type programs and when we can we try to give some for those as well. We have just been blessed so much in the past, that it is great to give back when we can :)

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 11:15 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I give what the Lord leads me to give. Its usually 10percent or more. I freely and happily give more when lead to do so,.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:18 AM on May. 1, 2009

• We do 10% plus a fast offering (money we would have spent on the food we didn't eat) to help the needy.

That's actually pretty cool that your church offers online payments, that sure would make things easier when we're out of town.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I usually give my church $15-20 a week. But I give in other ways; donating clothing, my time, food, etc.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:47 AM on May. 1, 2009

• For awhile my husband I were part of a church that was abusive and became a cult. They required a donation of at LEAST 10%. By the time we left we had been pressured into giving $5,000 over the course of six months with a salary of $25,000 a year. Do the math. That's NOT 10%. So we are wierd on the tithing thing now but when we do give it's because we want to and not because someone told us to. The general standard is 10% but a good church is willing to accept whatever size donation God puts on your heart whether it's $1 or $100,000. Give what you can and do it to support your church not because the pastor said God would "bless" you if you give more money.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:47 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I give what I can. Since I am a stay at home mother is generally is whatever I can find after I go grocery shopping. I know God would rather have a relationship from me than an offering. For it says so in the Bible. GB
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 12:03 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I give 10% minimum in tithes.. and above the tithe in offering is how the Lord leads. I would pray about it.. but definitely start with the 10% tithe... I have learned by paying the 10% I have enough to meet my needs etc... when I try to keep the 100% for some reason it doesn't work and it's a struggle.

Our church has the online giving option also and I really like it.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 12:53 PM on May. 1, 2009