how can i get him to stop?

my son freaks out and starts screaming every time i leave the house without him. i know this is completely normal but i feel terrible whenever it happens. is there any way to prevent this?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 11:21 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Never, ever sneak out. While it will spare you hearing him scream it will actually make it worse. He will notice you are gone and will scream all the harder. He will cling to you when he does see you since he will not be able to trust that you won't just disappear on him. Always, always say good-bye.

When you do leave, do it quickly.
    Kneel down in front of him, tell him some things like this:
    Mommy has to run out for a while.
    Can you build a big tower for mommy while I'm gone? (Get him looking forward to doing something fun while you are gone, pick whatever you'd like, whatever you think he will run off and do).
    Have fun and I'll be back soon.
    Then leave and don't look back except one possible final wave as you drive away.

It does get better. Seperation problems peak around 18 months and then slowly ease.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:04 PM on May. 1, 2009

• i had to find someone that didnt mind hearing my daugher scream and i would leave and go to the neighbors house and sit for five or ten min a couple times a week and she got used to it she knows im coming back so she dont scream as much
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 2:21 PM on May. 1, 2009