Is it normal for an almost two year old girl to CONSTANTLY take her bottoms off?

I watch a little girl that is almost 2. For the past couple of months she is constantly taking her bottoms off at naptime and bedtime. She will also play in her bowel movements if one occurs while she is sleeping. My biggest concern is just today, she undid one side of her diaper and was playing with herself while in the living room. I have four children of my own and have watched numerous others and have never seen behavior to this extreme. Please help....advice needed!

rickyd

Asked by rickyd at 11:23 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• oh yes, it sure is........

She is might just be realizing that there are sensitive feelings down there. Most girls touch themselves at some point when they realize "hey, that feels interesting". My daughter did it, & her Dr. said it was perfectly normal. After she learned about her new body part, she stopped. About playing with poo? I have heard kids doing that, I'm sure it's normal...but who knows for sure. Ask her mom about it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:33 AM on May. 1, 2009

• My daughter is almost 3 and has been pulling off her underwear once in a blue moon and grabbing herself.. It shocked me so i just coach her to put her underwear back on. As for the poop, i remember a niece of mine doing that when she was a toddler but she did it because her mom (my X sister) never woke up to change her in the morning so she played in her poop in the playpen. They don't know any better so we as good parents have to continue to teach then no not to play in the poop..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on May. 1, 2009

• The interest in that, if it's obsessive, can be a later warning sign of autism, or autistic spectrum disorder. It could also just mean that she's interested in potty learning. Or that she's become curious about new muscles. She's learning bladder control: it could be that she's wondering if she has to do this to pee or not pee.

There's a great book, called Becoming the Parent You Want to Be, (Keyser/Davis) that covers in depth how to handle toddler masturbation and feces...fun. Their beginning principle for it is to allow it only in the privacy of their own space - such as "Mary Sue, if you have to do that, you need to be in your room." Sometimes just having to leave a comfortable space with other people is enough to make them stop.

My autistic six year old didn't go through this phase, but her two year old twin sisters did somewhat, and I'm expecting more as we learn about the toilet.
    rainbowlight

Answer by rainbowlight at 11:40 AM on May. 1, 2009

• It's normal. Try putting duct tape over the diaper tab to help keep the messes from happening.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:51 AM on May. 1, 2009

• haha, The duct tape is a good idea! My mother is the OP and she gets no help from the child's Mother. Her answers are always either "I did that when I was her age" or "She learned it at her Dad's house". BUT the Mother NEVER corrects her! It's actually pretty sad.
    ABryn1011

Answer by ABryn1011 at 11:59 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I can't think of the word I want to use. But her parents probably just aren't one of those who makes her stop when she is exploring herself. With my kids it was a battle for them to keep their clothes on at all. They all loved, and still love to be naked. In the house the most the boys have on is a pair of shorts or boxers.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 12:11 PM on May. 1, 2009