How does Pagan beliefs compare with Christian beliefs?

This is strictly for knowledge. Please don't argue or insult each other or other religions. I'm trying to figure out where Pagan beliefs differ from Christian beliefs. If you have references, please feel free to post them. If you have scriptures, please feel free to post them.

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 11:32 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You need to better define Pagan. Some consider my faith and other Reconstructionist faiths one, I do not. Some consider Wiccans=Pagans, but there are differences there in structure and belief system. What I believe and what an Iroquois believes and what a Wiccan believes are 3 entirely different things. And while many of the basic morals are similar to Christian, the creation stories are different, some very basic moral views are different, and moreover, the intent to convert others is polar opposite.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:09 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on May. 1, 2009

• They are completely different from each other.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 12:01 PM on May. 1, 2009

• HOW are they different... I'm sorry, maybe I didn't ask my question clearly enough..... if they are completely different, someone please share with me the differences.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:05 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Pagan is simply an umbrella term for non-abrahamic faiths. So there are many different paths out there and its a very individual path so you will get different answers.

As far as things that are similar to christianity....most paths believe in a divine/God but many also acknowledge a female diety as well. There are things like being good to one another, loving each other, service, etc. Those are similarities. Respecting and honoring your chosen diety as well as asking for help and guidance as the need arises. Thanking them for whatever you've been given,etc.

Those are some similarities. Im sure others will come and add. :)
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:14 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Actually, there are quite a few similarities along with the differences.

The major difference is that pagans are Mulitheistic whereas Christians are Monotheistic - basically, Pagans believe in more than one deity while Christians believe in one (or Dualtheistic, if you consider Jesus and God to be seperate but equal deities)

One of the similarities is the belief in a "trinity" of sorts - Christians believe in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, Pagans believe in the triple Goddess - Maiden, Mother, Crone.

There are also similarities in "prayer" - All prayer is is putting energy out into the world for a positive change. Weather we direct it to God, the Goddess, or any other deity (or ourselves), the intention is still basically the same.

Anyway, this is just my viewpoint. I have been both, and this is knowledge from my personal experience.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 12:16 PM on May. 1, 2009

• pagans do not have a central doctrine, while Christians have the bible to follow.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 12:17 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Another simular thing is the respect for nature on both sides. Christians respect nature and we do as well. Both for the love of the devine.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:29 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Facts show that most "Christian" celebrations and the traditions that go with them are from Pagan religions, they took them so the Pagans would accept the name "Christian" even though they were still worshiping their gods with their celebrations, Like taking a BEETLE BUG and saying it's a BMW.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:05 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Lisarose...youre so funny! I agree though...we get all that easter garb going and act like we are honoring God and its really just about us and it was originally a pagan holiday. Lets commercialize some random day of the year and then call it a christian holiday....LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:18 PM on May. 1, 2009