Any Avon Reps out there?

What are the pro's and con's of selling Avon? Has it worked well for you? Why or why not?

I'm a new SAHM with a MBA and strong work experience. I have experience in sales and a lot of experience in recruitment (which is ultimately selling a company, location, benefits, etc.). I tried an Avon product for the first time 3-weeks ago and LOVE it!! It got me thinking, "Maybe I should look into selling Avon while I am at home with my son." I plan to stay home for about a year and then return to the outside workforce.

Any inside information or advice on what I should ask before making this jump? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• I was with Avon for 5 years I was also a Unit Leader. It's very difficult to make any money with Avon because SOOO many people sell it. I would spend more on supplies, brochures, samples and demos each campaign than what I earned with my sales. I would get 500+ brochures every two weeks and be consistant, make the phone calls to customers, have events, had a window decal for the car, did everything I could and if I kept $5 profit a campaign that was good!

There are 5 reps on my street alone and dozens in my small suburb....literally hundreds and hundreds of reps in and around the Buffalo, NY area and pretty much EVERY area!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:42 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I love Avon, but I would never sell for them. My cousin was on and off with them for a long time as well, and she had all of the same problems Mom2Jack told you about, plus she was often stuck with products where she had ordered them, but people changed their minds.
    There are a TON of other home based businesses out there though, you just have to find one that will work for YOU! You need to know how much you're required to spend. With mine, I just pay $5 per month to keep my website up and running, and I print my own flyers and get free business cards from vistaprint.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 12:26 PM on May. 1, 2009

• You'll probably hear a lot of negativity about Avon but the truth is it all depends on if you're willing to work at it and treat it like a job. Is it possible to make an income? Absolutely. I'm living proof of that. With a little work and effort you can do really well with the company. I'd love to help you get started. Why don't you shoot me an email and I can help you make the decision!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 1:35 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I have been selling Avon for the last 2 1/2 yrs. I make pretty good money for the amount of time I put in, of course like with any business the more time you put in the more money you can make. For the first 6 months I reinvested all of my profits back into my business and built my business up. Now I bring in about the same as I did working part-time outside the home, but I put in less hours. I am happy where I am so I have tried to increase my business in a while.
    onlymikesstacia

Answer by onlymikesstacia at 1:47 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I have been a sahm for 7 years and just recently got the best job EVER. I have a really good friend who has been selling Premier Designs Jewelry for years and had talked to me about it in the past, but I never was really interested. I thought that it wasn't for me. After she showed me her commission checks, I quickly reconsidered and decided to look into it.

Needless to say it was EXACTLY what I needed! I have been doing it for a few months now and have really enjoyed it and not to mention that last month I made over $2,000 working part-time. I work mainly from home and then try to schedule my jewelry parties one night per week. I don't have to get childcare because I work around my husband's schedule and really the jewelry just sells itself. Plus I get to get out of the house without kids! Imagine that!

If you would like further info just email me! I would love to share it w/you! christina_abunassar@yahoo.com
    cabunassar

Answer by cabunassar at 3:00 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Avon has excellent products but you do not make any money really selling the products.
    Mandy1974

Answer by Mandy1974 at 12:59 PM on May. 3, 2009