Prenatal Vitamins

I'm currently taking PrimaCare One, but it's expensive and the pills are HUGE. Is there a cheaper one I can get from the health store?

Cassidylm

Asked by Cassidylm at 11:33 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was actually on store bought prenatals until about 10-weeks. Then my doctor suggested a prescription vitamin. They were great because they had a very mild stool softener (sorry if TMI). Those pregnancy hormones really do a number on the body!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on May. 1, 2009

• The pills are supplements If you eat right and stay high on your folic acid you should be fine i never took prenatal vitamine my babygirl weight 91/2 pounds if you are concerned walgreens and CVS sells a milk shake for moms to be its cheaper and the vitamines are higher in concentration it comes in chocolates ,vanilla and strawberry .And most important you wont gag like with the pills
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 11:37 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Supplements are most important on your first and second trimester on the third they are not needed as much
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 11:38 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I have to disagree with the PP. I was told to stay on them by my OB/GYN even after pregnancy since I was nursing. MUCH rather be safe than sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I did get the same kind with the stoll softener, and the pills are fine, it's the price. I'm paying about $40 for 30 day supply and was hoping to find something cheaper.

Did you also find that you gained weight?

Cassidylm

Answer by Cassidylm at 11:49 AM on May. 1, 2009

• ur doc shud precribe u some but untill they do i took the store brand and ate healthy .. some gurls cant take em they make them sick .. My SIL took kids filenstones vitiams while she was preggo.. bc others made her sick !!
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 12:32 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I couldn't handle regular prenatal vitamins, they always made me throw up unless I took them at a specific time before eating and if I didn't eat enough I'd get sick... My doc put me on Flinstones vitamins and instructed that I take two a day instead of one. It was wonderful. They came in tons of flavors (I was partial to Sour Gummies) and I bought a big jug of them at Costco for $20 and it lasted about three months...

Call your doctor's office and get the ok to switch, if there is nothing warrenting a stronger pill then you can probably switch as early as today!
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 12:39 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I take prescribed "Prenatal" (RX TAB ETHEX)
    heathertilton08

Answer by heathertilton08 at 3:56 PM on May. 1, 2009

• it costs 8 or 9 dollars and comes in 100 tablets a bottle they smell like vanillia yogurt so the smell is more delightful than sickening. But you have to eat before you take them. Which with the morning sickness is a little hard.
    heathertilton08

Answer by heathertilton08 at 3:59 PM on May. 1, 2009

• The most important thing with pregnancy is Folic acid and Iron the rest your body will crave it
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 7:17 PM on May. 2, 2009