On Mirena, just was told I am Pregnant...

So the story is I went on Mirena (IUD) about 5 months ago, my third child just turnt 1 and wanted to either not have any more or wait for about 5 yrs. They sat Mirena is 99.9% effective, how in the world did I end up the .1%. I was having bad cramping and went to the doctor yesterday and she gave me a bunch of tests threw pregnancy test in to make sure. An hour after I got the call Pregnancy test was positive. I was in shock. I thought I was having my period last week, so either I miscarried or the IUD is irritating the area. Now I have to have Mirena taken out and they say having it taken out can cause miscarriage. I really do not know what to think, or feel with not knowing what is actually going on with my body / life. CRAZINESS!

So has any one heard of this happening to any one else? Just wondering how common this is?

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 11:33 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Health

• they did not put in in properly that is why/ Most likely, they will hide that from you though. That .1% is from times when Dr.'s do mot place the IUC properly.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:35 AM on May. 1, 2009

• nope. never heard of this. your the like one in a million LOL maybe you were meant for another little one :) Congrats. Hopefully everything will work out okay!!!!
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 11:36 AM on May. 1, 2009

Um..that is completely false.
    Anonymous

• You're the first real life case I've ever heard of.

I hope everything goes well for you.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 12:56 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Properly placed or not you can still get pregnant with an IUD. It is not 100% and neither is tubal ligation. The only 100% is menopause or abstinence. How exactly can you not properly place an IUD anyway?
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:58 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I went to doc yesterday and found out we are misscarrying. Sad but I guess that is what is meant for us right now.
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 8:47 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I beg to differ with the answers. My IUD was properly placed and checked every month for 6 months straight. I got pregnant 2 months ago and miscarried before they had a chance to remove the IUD. They convinced me to leave it in and checked that it was still in the right place (this is a different doctor then the one who placed it originally).

Guess what. I'm pregnant again.

I believe that .1% is a fabrication. I have just googled "I am pregnant" + Mirena to find out the large number of women getting pregnant on this thing.

I now don't know who to trust but wish that there was somewhere where women in this situation could talk about what course they took and what happened so that we can learn from it and keep our welcomed surprises safe and healthy in our wombs with the monster that is Mirena.
    cheritek

Answer by cheritek at 4:11 AM on May. 4, 2009

• To the OP - so sorry for your loss. Lots of prayers to you.
    cheritek

Answer by cheritek at 4:12 AM on May. 4, 2009