Why do people treat people on WIC so badly?

I have a 7 month old and a 3 year old. My husband works full time and makes 2,600 a month. We qualify for WIC 'cause the income cut off is 4,000 or so for a 4 person family. My husband alone pays about 600 bucks a month out of that 2,600 in just taxes. It's not like we're lazy people who live off the system. We work hard for what we have. The kids also have state medical, but the hubby and I pay for our insurance. I just don't feel like I should have to explain this when a customer in line or a cashier acts so rude when they see my WIC checks.

Do any of you experience this kind of behavior?

mlh1985

Asked by mlh1985 at 11:54 AM on May. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Who cares what others think, it is really no ones buisness and WIC has a very high cut off for how much money a person can make. As a family of nine, we have been on and off WIC and other state programs, I don't feel bad about it, my husband works always has, makes good money, but there are times were we just need that little extra boost. He pays into a system that will probably be broke by the time he can use it, his dad paid into it, never used it, my grandma did and died the month she could retire, so she never saw a penny of it, hell we pay into it. Don't feel like you have to justify it, it isn't thier buisness!

I hate to see someone with WIC but only because I know the line will go a little slower, it was also the reason I hated to use them, I wish they would come up with a better system.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:50 PM on May. 1, 2009

• People don't know your personal finances when they see your WIC checks. What they see is a young mom with two kids in line to get groceries and she pays for it with WIC. They see what's on the surface, not what's beneath it.

I wish I could have WIC and state medical for my son. That would be nice. However, I still have to work twice as hard to get the basic needs met for my son. I tried to get on WIC when I was pregnant and was denied. Told I made too much money but other women who kept having kid, after kid, after kid seemed to be reaping the benefits off the government while those of us not on it had to struggle.

If you need the services then great, that's why we tax payers make sure those that get it can have it. But it's not there to be a mainstay in the household. It's to help you out in a rough time till you can move on and let someone else that needs it more than you have help.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 11:59 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I would never explain it to anyone in line. People frown upon it because their are an overabundance of people who use the system as a way of life. I can see that your husband is working, are you working so you will be able to get off the system? Im only asking because many people have to make sacrifices to pay for their family and don't think it is fair to get assistance when you are not doing EVERYTHING in your power to take care of your own. If you watched a child in your home could you get off wic? The system is there to ensure people don't starve, circumstances come up where people need a hand. The system is not there to allow people to use money for food so they can use their own money on extras. If you feel uncomfortable maybe you can think of a way to do something to earn a little bit so you won't have to be on wic. Not tryn to be rude, just explaining y people may be starring at people on welfare. The system is abused!
    Anonymous

• You wouldn't get it if you didn't qualify people that are judgmental about things like that have nothing else to be grouchy about that day.... I was on wic for a few months when my daughter was a baby it really helped out with formula I have heard that they are starting to give fruit and veggies through wic and I think that's a great idea. You don't have to explain yourself to anyone you pay taxes like anyone else if feeding your family healthy food is a priority and you need a little help now and then you shouldn't feel bad about it.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 12:05 PM on May. 1, 2009

• to be truthful i think your husband makes a lot well enough money...i hate to be nosey but is your husband in construction or something that doesnt give benefits.he seems to make more than enough.but that right there just tells you that people just dont know of your situation.alot of people are on wic these days.and pretty soon those people who were laid off they wont be able to collect anymore and then we will have another situation.
    Anonymous

• Well, we have rent, car insurance (big ticket if you don't), medical insurance costs, fuel costs, cost of food, the formula we pay for out of pocket as well (WIC doesn't cover all of the formula), electricity, W/S/G, etc. etc. We have normal bills that are a must. Also, the baby is on a special prescription formula. I really don't feel like we're abusing the system. I would go back to work, but the cost of day care would take my entire pay check. We don't qualify for child care assistance through the state or anything like that. I plan on going back to college not this fall, but next.

Oh and my husband works for a steel company for that person who asked.
    mlh1985

Answer by mlh1985 at 12:25 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I don't have this problem bcuz I get my wic stuff from the place I work at. Her daddy and I both work but still are unable 2 get everything we need with out some assistance. My suggestion to you is to tell who ever makes a comment about it, to just mind their own business, and if its a checker making comments then I suggest telling a manager, that's a suspension or termination depending on the severity of the comment made. Try not to let stupid people get to you they're not worth it, I hope things get better for u
    Anonymous

• Many people are what we call the "working" poor. I don't like that term because it is so limiting a descripition. Many middle-class looking people are truly one check away from being "poor." With that said, there are dozens of reason someone uses services. Mental health issues rendering an individual disabled. This person looks like anyone else and you would never know. Or you are a foster parent and WIC is something that helps assist that child's wellbeing. Situations like the OP of course. And many many more situations. When in line at a store it is not my right to judge others or why they have public assistance. Not my business. Besides FACT: less than 1% of our total taxes that come out of my paycheck go to federal and state assistance for individuals and families. I pay WAY more in corporate welfare keeping millionaires rich than assisting my neighbors and friends. Warm thoughts to you and your family OP.
    Anonymous

• As someone who used to work at a grocery store long ago let me say that I never looked down on people that used WIC but as a cashier it was a pain in the butt to do what was required for the check. I accidently cashed one for someone ONE day earlier and was taken off the schedule for it. They put me back but I just quit. So just keep that in mind. It causes the cashier to take extra time with you and that could be why people give you "looks". It's not always because people think badly of you for using it. Formula is very expensive I would certainly have used WIC if i qualified. Screw what anyone else thinks.
    Anonymous

• I think some people get irritated about it because they are just jealous. Seriously! They are jealous that someone is getting something that they aren't and it irritates them. My husband works from home & makes almost $4000.00 a month and having a family of 6, we qualify for WIC. We have 2 children on it, so we get double of everything & I don't feel bad at all. Both of us have worked and paid taxes since we were 15 yrs old and If we qualify for any help... we will certainly take it. We also get $500.00 in FS & a $250.00 gas card every time we go in for our requalifying appt. This will be the last month we will qualify though, because my husband picked up a second job & his earnings will put us way over the limit. I say if you qualify get what you can and use it wisely and if you don't, be thankful that you're doing well enough to not qualify.

Anonymous