How do we know if it's a bladder or potty training problem?

My niece is 5 and still has accidents when she sleeps. When she's awake she does fine. Her little sister has these tantrums with accidents. She spunks out and then just pees. She does good at night though. Occassionally when she sleeps there is an accident. My brothers wife thinks they are just lazy pretty much. My husbands sister has 4 girls and none of her kids have had these problems. That's why I am wondering if there is more to it. My son will be 4 in July and does great. Accidents are rare. Now she put them back in pull ups. I just don't know if that was the way to go. I babysit them and thought they were just having trouble here. It's not. They do it everywhere. What do you think?
Also I feel like I should add that my SIL has yeast infections a lot. She puts the kids in her tub water. I have been telling her they could get one too but she didn't get them checked out. That's why I wonder if it's internal trouble.

BubbysMom208

Asked by BubbysMom208 at 12:01 PM on May. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would definitely suggest that the doctor take a look and rule out any physical problems first. If she is having yeast infections or anything of that sort, she may be scratching during the nite in her sleep and making herself urinate.

After, I would do this. I would eliminate any sodas or drinks with sugar. Children will drink too much of sweet drinks, even tho these drinks do not fill the hydration need of the body. The bladder has more difficulty holding these drinks more than just water alone. The human actually requires a certain amount of water in order for each of the organs to operate correctly.

Next, I would never mention to her that she has wet the bed. As distressing as it can be to the parent, it does not good for the child. Matter of fact, its embarrassing to the child. They already know their problem, and they cannot correct it at will.

Try these 3 things and see if something works. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:46 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Wow yeast infections and sharing tub water, that's not 2 good I think you need to have a doctor take look, gl I hope everything works out
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 12:27 PM on May. 1, 2009

• You and they should eliminate all juice, I found my DD was having acciedents and ater 2 days she was back to normal!!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:55 PM on May. 1, 2009