My Daughter is a year old, and she only weighs 16 pounds...Is this normal?

I am 22 and I weigh 110 and 5 ft 2 in tall, and her father is also short so it could very much be hereditary, but I still feel a bit worried that she might be underweight. The average is about 20 lbs for her age. Her feet are also very tiny...She is in a 2 and still has room to grow in that. Granted I wear a 6 and her dad is in a 9 1/2...I still think her feet should be bigger. Have any other parents had this problem? This is my first so I inquire about any and everything...

kjubert

Asked by kjubert at 12:37 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Has she seen her pediatrician? If she has, they would have told you if you needed to worry. Kids grow at different rates and I would try not to worry about it, unless your pediatrician is concerned.

If both you and your husband are small, she may just be a small child, no harm in that as long as she is healthy and eating good.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 12:39 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Oh she's fine. If her doctor isn't worried, then you shouldn't be either. My daughter was the same exact way, TINY, my son on the other hand was a moose, he weighed 22lbs when he was 6 months old. My daughter was 18 months old before she hit the 20lb mark
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:40 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Look at her percentiles since birth and my doc told me that as long as my son stayed within plus or minus 10% of his birth percentile then he was happy. At 1 year my son weight a whopping 18 pounds. Also if you are nursing make sure you look at the WHO charts for nursing babes as those are different then the older charts most docs use that are more formula fed babes.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:41 PM on May. 1, 2009

• This week at my daughters 1 year check up (even though she is almost 15 months) she weighs 20.7 pounds.. sounds like you just have a small baby :)
    dueinfeb2008

Answer by dueinfeb2008 at 12:44 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I was either 23 or 32 lbs in kindergarten, with a not much bigger shoe. I stayed tiny for a while. Even in 3rd grade, I only wore 6x clothes. But, the funny thing is I was born weighing 8lbs 14 oz and 23in long. So, I was born with most of my size. My son was born average and at 13 is only 4'10" and 77lbs. TINY. But, his shoes are a size 9 mens. I wouldn't worry as long as she does gain at least some weight and the doctors don't say anything.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:53 PM on May. 1, 2009

• My dd was 18.5 at her one year check up. She's small, but healthy. Key word here HEALTHY! :) Just make sure your child is loved, happy and healthy.
    Anonymous

• At 12 months DD was only about 18 lb.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 2:38 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Ask her pedi.

Doesn't matter about "average" children, just ask her pedi and he/she will be able to tell you if she is healthy for HER body and age.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 2:49 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Our 9 year old was only 18 pounds at a year. She is still really skinny but very healthy, she eats all the time! Doc said she was fine then and now.

www.RamblingsOFaSAHM.com

Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 3:33 PM on May. 1, 2009