Infected?

How do you know a cut is infected, does it turn a purple color around the cut? I stepped on my sons monster truck, and sliced my foot.

Rachel24517

Asked by Rachel24517 at 12:41 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Health

• infection will include any or all of the following symptoms:

Inflamed
    Warm to the touch
    obvious pus
    red/discoloration in the skin surrounding the wound
    Tender to the touch (more so than what is to be expected with a wound)

How long ago did you slice your foot? And did you clean it well? Are you keeping it covered, and using an ointment such as Neosporin on it?

The purple around the cut is likely bruising from getting the cut itself.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:49 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I agree with pp the purple sounds like a bruise not infection. I would just wash it really well and maybe put some aloe on it if you have it (it is not only good for sunburn) and keep an eye on it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:56 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Pink or red around the cut. Swelling. Warm to the touch. If it is a deep or long cut, you probably should have it checked, and make sure your tetanus is up to date. I'd suggest that a slice needs to be seen.

Answer by Bmat at 12:57 PM on May. 1, 2009

• purple can be a sign of infection, too. if it is leaking pus or has pus in it, then it is infected. red, and swollen are signs. if it is a lot more sensitive than when you first got the cut, then it is surely getting infected.
    Another way to check is peroxide. if the peroxide bubbles like CRAZY, then the cut is likely not being cared for properly.
    Wash with peroxide, and/or rubbing alcohol. keep it bandaged. Where is it on your foot, the bottom? That would take a long time to heal.
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 1:11 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I agree with Destiny13. Clean it and cover it well. I stepped on my daughters toy brush and the spike went through. Oh it hurt!!! i couldn't walk right for a day. I cleaned it and I use magsteps which increases the speed of recovery, by increasing circulation.
    1heart1mind

Answer by 1heart1mind at 6:28 PM on May. 1, 2009