breast feeding prep help?

I've read many different things from different magazines and parenting books about what I should and shouldnt do to help prepare my breasts for breast feeding. I was wondering if any actual MOMS have some tips for me. (I'm 5 months)

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 12:48 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not necessary to do anything physically to prepare your body for breastfeeding. (In the past, women were sometimes told to "toughen their nipples," but this isn't necessary or helpful.) You can trust your body to prepare itself for breastfeeding during your pregnancy. You may find that you leak a little milk toward the end of your pregnancy, or you may not. Either way is normal. A great article to read is How to Get Your Milk Supply Off to a Good Start Lots of tips for getting a good start!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:11 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Honestly there isn't really anything you CAN do to prep...I tried "toughening" up my nipples (I rolled them daily) and I even tried to pinch and pull them to get them toughened up...they were sore for the first week or two then I remember about this nipple shield that I got from one of my mommy friends at my baby shower...OMG it was a life saver! after I used that for a few days (and after I weaned the baby off it) Breastfeeding was a breeze! Here is the link for it hope it helps!

http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/tips-and-solutions/112/nipple-shields
    mlmartinez

Answer by mlmartinez at 12:57 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I don't think you can do much short of making sure you nurse ASAP after your baby is born and have your supplies clean and sterile before you leave for the hospital.

Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:18 PM on May. 1, 2009

• kellymom.com was the best information site fo rme when I was going to breastfeed. But I was determined no matter what!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:51 PM on May. 1, 2009

• You can mentally prepare, read alot, especially kellymom.com, it is a wealth of information! Don't listen to anyones horror stories because every nursing relationship is SO different! Find a local La Leche League near you and go to one before your baby arrives and continue to go once he/she is here, they have certified leaders that know so much and are always there to answer any questions you may have. I do not agree with the comment about using the nipple shield any lactation consultant will tell you that many (not all) babies they develope nipple confusion and have trouble latching on once you try to get rid of the nipple shield.

Good luck :)
    cemn0615

Answer by cemn0615 at 2:17 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Get the book, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding! it is a great book, When ever I have a question on breastfeeding I go to this book. It has it all in there, I started reading it before my daughter was born, and am glad I did!
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 9:01 PM on May. 1, 2009