What can I do about this situation?

My mother, my children and I stay together in a extended stay hotel. I have an at home hair braiding business. I have alot of new customers as well as repeat customers that I wish to keep. My issue with my mom is she says things that are not supposed to be said in front of my customers. I spoke to her about it 2 or 3 times however she did it again yesterday! I spoke to her about it and told her that wasn't cool. An hour later she basically told me she is 58 years old and she can say what she wants to say-which is true- however there is a time and a place for everything. I told her these are my customers her reply was she didn't care. She then said to tell my customers not to talk to her. I told her don't worry about it because I feel she doesn't respect my business which is my bread and butter right now. This really hurt my feelings and I feel that my children and I should move.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• well move. mom is not going to change. she is set in her ways and she let you know that too! Take your own adivce is get the heck away from your mother, or take your business to another place.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 1:20 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I feel for you.. My mother likes to say things to me and doesn't think anything about it. She thinks she's right and she can say what she wants.. We lived with my mother for about 1yr and that was more than enough. We paid her rent for a bedroom in her home but enough was enough and as soon as my husband was able to get a job in the state (traveling over 2hrs each way to other job) we moved out.. If you can afford it, move.. Even if it's just another place in the same hotel, at least your customers won't have to hear all that chatter from her..
    Anonymous

• She basically said she dosent respect you. I would move.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:29 PM on May. 1, 2009

• If she says those things in front of your customers, what's she saying in front of your kids? I would move too.
    Anonymous

• I get the same thing with my mom. Nothing I have ever said penetrated her brain! I give up!
    Anonymous

• I would either move or I'd rent a place of business and in that place, I'd tell her she will either be a customer or not be there.
    She obviously doesn't realize that whatever it is that she says, does, acts etc could affect the money that is brought in, or doesn't care.
    I'd have to move me or the business to protect my income.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 1:42 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I wonder if it would be possible for you to go to the customers?
    lisa_ann_p

• Its called the RUDES, I have found once people get a certain age they dont give a S... what they say. I have vowed to never become part of the RUDE club. I would get my own place if I could. GOOD LUCK
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 2:37 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Then move. You mother has the right to say what she wants when she wants to who ever is in her home. You are in a hotel and running a business from a hotel room is basically illegal. Especially considering you probably don't claim any of your earnings.
    Anonymous