when you're alone, (children don't count), do you answer the door for strangers? what if they're dressed in uniform...? just in general??

my front door has windows, and people can see if i'm home.... i have a great dane who barks like crazy, but how do i NOT answer if they can SEE me...? i hate when these people come. DO you answer the door? are you scared its a crazy person ever?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Umm no. I always answer, especially if they are in uniform because my husband is in the military. If you are unsure, just put the chain on the door and open it so you feel more secure.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 1:35 PM on May. 1, 2009

• i open the door i wanna know who it is i never think its a crazy person and if you dont want them to see you buy some curtains thats a good idea anyways. And yiu shoudltn worry you have your dog :)
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 1:39 PM on May. 1, 2009

• we used to live near the ghetto and an iffy area, near the soup kitchen and homeless shelter so many weird people would knock on my door asking for money or offer to mow the lawn for money. one guy even asked for a ride to a town an hour away. SO works all day so it was just me, our son, and my cat. we had a window on the door and it was always locked. i just answered the door without opening it and always said NO. it became kinda a problem, but not enough to call the cops. what would they do? it wasnt always the same people and they didnt come every day, but enough to make me paranoid. oh and we've had 2 lawn mowers stolen, so yeah they watched us. after a while I wrote up a NO SOLICITORS sign: "no soliciting: we are not religious, have no spare change and dont need lawn maintenance. if you need help please contact the department of labor or go to LAMP (a NPO which helps with bills, food and clothes).
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:39 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Well, since my hubby is in the Military, if uniforms come to my door, I'm gonna answer. Other wise, If I'm alone, especially at night, I wont answer the door if I dont know the person. My first place had windows around the door. There was no way to approach it without being seen. So we put a cheap little surveillance camera up in one of the windows and had it ran to our tv. If someone knocked on the door all I had to do was switch the tv to that channel and I could see who it was.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 1:42 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I don't answer unless I know who they are or unless it's a police officer. And even then I'd look for a police car first. I'm a little paranoid, but mostly I don't have the time or patience to sit there an listen to solicitors while my kids tear the house up behind me.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:44 PM on May. 1, 2009

• No. Never. EVen though I live in a quiet neighborhood,out in the country, I don't. People are nuts now days, losing jobs so they want to steal and they want something for nothing. AND so many on drugs. A guy in a wealthy neighborhood a mile away from us,was just arrested for making drugs in his basement and maybe some of his customers are out there,waiting to break in. Know what I mean?
    Anonymous

• Usually, yes.

People rarely come to my door that I either don't know or don't expect.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:53 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I really could care less if they see me or not. They are not entitled in any way shape or form just because they see me!!  Screw that, my safety is more important than that!!

CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 1:59 PM on May. 1, 2009

• If I can see that they don't look right to me or if I'm feeling unsafe then I will answer the door with my gun. I don't point it at them of course but it lets them know not to take for granted that I'm alone and I'm female because I will defend me and mine. I had one guy see that I was armed and he backed up with his hands in the air "Hey, hey don't shoot." I told him "Dude I don't know you and I have a little boy to think of and you look like you don't belong or live in the neighborhood. So now that we both know I don't play, can I help you?" He kinda laughed and said he understood but he was a solicitor.

More often then not it's some solicitor which my city doesn't allow without a permit and I will advise them to go get a permit and then sell all you want.

I sure like abbynsachsmommy's tv surveillance idea. That is cool. We're gonna have to do that.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:04 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Nope. Just because someone knocks on my door does not mean I'm obligated to answer it. I don't buy anything sold door to door so why bother? Obviously if it was the police with a police car then I would, but otherwise no.
    Anonymous