How come my 9 month old doesn't want to eat baby food anymore?

She's been eating baby food for 3 months now and has been doing fine with them, but this past week every time I or someone else tries and feeds her, she just turns her head away from the spoon and starts screaming and spitting it out when we do get it in her mouth.

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 1:36 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine did that at 6 months. I then just made his food myself. I had the book "Feed me, I'm yours" it helped alot. It's easy and better for them anyway.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:41 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I would think she's bored with the food. Try feeding her some solid table food. Maybe fresh peas, avacado pieces, pieces of banana, etc. This way, she can start working on her pincer grasp and get something new at the same time.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 1:47 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Try some solids. Does she have teeth yet?
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:52 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Put some bits of food on her tray and let her feed herself. A lot of kids have an independent streak at this point, and will only self-feed.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:06 PM on May. 1, 2009

• My nine month old started that this week too. We went to the doc for her check up yesterday and she said the same thing everyone else has. Start finger food. Mine gets Gerber Puffs and we're going to start soft fruits and cooked veggies in the next day or two. The doc said not to worry if she doesn't have teeth. Babies use their tounges and gums to mash food, not teeth. Just make sure everything is cut into small pieces and that they are super soft.
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 2:10 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Have you tasted jarred babyfood? It is pretty nasty. Avocado, cooked beans, cooked sweet potatoes, there are lots of great foods that you probably have in the house that you can feed your baby. Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron is probably the best book in the world on feeding babies and toddler. www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 2:21 PM on May. 1, 2009

• try feeding your little girl table food, my little girl is the same way she will not eat baby food but she eat table food. like mashed potatoes
    proudmomwifey

Answer by proudmomwifey at 2:32 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Could be her teeth. Even if it's pureed baby food, her teeth could be irritated. I wouldn't worry... keep offering it (and some table food, too), try different things, but don't push it too hard. Formula or breastmilk alone is still fine at this point. I'm sure she'll get into it again.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:48 PM on May. 1, 2009

• My daughter started this around 7 months too. She literally loved baby food one day and turned her head and fussed the next. It was exactly what all the posts say. She wanted to feed herself. I cut banana or tofu into small pieces and roll in wheat germ so that she can getter a better grasp on the small pieces. I also put organic tomato sauce and mozzerrella on a piece of whole wheat bread (a mini pizza) and toast for a few minutes then cut into very small pieces. It's fun to get creative.
    marathonmom78

Answer by marathonmom78 at 2:45 PM on May. 17, 2009