Be honest...Why do children feel the need to say things over and over and over and over and over again?

You all know what I am talking about. I am sitting here a the computer and my four year old says, "mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy.....mommy!" It is not like I am not listening. I heard her the first time and she really doesn't need anything. She just feels the need to say my name (or whatever) over and over. I think it is just the repetition that really annoys me. But why do you think they do that?

FullTimeMOM823

Asked by FullTimeMOM823 at 1:36 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Because they want attention. Children at that age don't realize that you can hear them even if you don't respond or don't answer them right away. They think that you have to be looking right at them and answer them right away for you to understand.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:38 PM on May. 1, 2009

• they crave our attention and want to be heard. My daughter is 2 and does this to me.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 1:38 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I just asked my 4 year old granddaughter the same thing. LOL! I said, "Listen, Grandma hears you, I am just not as fast at responding than you are at thinking."
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:39 PM on May. 1, 2009

• lol, my 4 yr old does the same thing. She'll say the same sentence/phrase over and over, even when we've already responded to her. I'm guessing they are loving their ability to communicate with us.
    The other day I told her to "stop talking so much" and she goes, "But, I love to talk!"
    Anonymous

• Mine does that until I confirm what's she's said...

Our conversation will be:
    Her: "Look MaMa; I found a kitty"
    Me: "Ummm; hmmm"
    over & over & over again; until I finally say - "Yes honey you found a kitty" - then she's happy to go about her biz again...

Apparently saying Uh huh; or Umm Hmmm; or even Yes dear; is not enough validation for her! LOL
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:54 PM on May. 1, 2009

• uh? Because they are children and their brains are not fully developed yet!!?? just wait until they are teenagers and their brains are still not fully developed and they only think with the front part....but they THINK they know it all!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:56 PM on May. 1, 2009

• yeah mine do that untill i give them a definate answer too and i think that it is because they want to know that you hear them i mean if another adult that you are trying to talk to does the same thing in a minute you are going to ask the same thing again right well they want to make sure that they are heard too so that is why they do it
    tired703

Answer by tired703 at 5:41 PM on May. 1, 2009

• My daugher does the same thing and if I just go 'uh huh' she's say 'mommy, talk to me...' then repeat what she said and if I don't repeat what she said word for word she'll just keep repeating it over and over until I do......but as soon as I do she stops and moves on with life. lol It's a kid thing, they don't understand that even if you're not looking or answering them instantly you can still hear them. In their minds you aren't hearing them and kids don't like to be ignored.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 10:10 PM on May. 1, 2009

• my kids do that when im on the phone alot and that seems to be when they choose to fight lol ive been told its cuz they want u to stop whatever it is ur doing.
    lienna

Answer by lienna at 11:59 PM on May. 1, 2009