Bill Collectors

What is it about I have no money that they don't get? It's kinda funny. I told the lady at Visa today that I could not give her the full amount but I could give her $25. She says 'okay but can you give me the remaining amount in 3 days?' I said no. I explained that my husband had been out of work for a few weeks (laid off) and just got back to a new job at a much lower pay rate and I had to see how we were gonna get everything else paid. She says to me 'okay but I'll at least need half of the balance in 3 days.' I told her I would try to make another payment when my husband got his first check in 2 weeks. Get this. She says 'Well do you think you could go ahead and schedule your next payment?' Geez, I know it's there job to get the money but as my grandma used to say. 'You can't squeeze blood from a turnip.' Next time I won't be so nice. I'll give them what little I can and then hang up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• I have often found that saying, "I will be happy to pay you what I owe you just as soon as I can feed my children." works pretty well. lol Seriously, though, I don't give them the chance to pressure me like that. I tell them what I can give them, and they take it or leave it. Either way, I say thank you and hang up. If they call right back, I tell them to stop calling me at that number.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:56 PM on May. 1, 2009

• haha I know what you're talking about... my mom worked for a collection agency for awhile... they do get % of whatever money they can squeeze out of you. And they are trained to be pretty relentless about it.... just laugh it off pay what you can pay.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 1:43 PM on May. 1, 2009

• You really need to explore filing bankruptcy.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:16 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Do NOT ever give them your bank information!! I know that you didn't, but don't....EVER! They will say that they will take out whatever you agreed to on the phone and then they will empty your account. Legally they can, because you owe them the money and you gave them the info to do so. Just stop answering the phone, or hang up when you realize who it is. Make the payments when you can, the sooner the better, but you have to feed your kids first.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:52 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Wow that would drive me nuts!! I'm sorry you are in that situation. The group One Day of Peace is doing a theme on peace through personal finances. We've got lots of other groups helping out if you wanted to come and ask questions, get advice- or just vent.

I hope things turn out well for you and your family! Sounds like it's a bugger!

Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:20 PM on May. 1, 2009