what can I do if my 9 month little girl has an attitude problem?

She will scream until she get her way. If I'm too slow at doing something she will scream. what can I do?

proudmomwifey

Asked by proudmomwifey at 1:44 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yep, just try your hardest to be patient. At 9 months you can BEGIN a discipline routing (in other words, she's old enough to START learning some things aren't acceptable), but it's a long, bumpy road... Talk to her about what you're doing (if she's screaming for you to do it more quickly) in a soothing voice... it may not seem to have an effect at first, but she'll learn. Your baby is normal!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:39 PM on May. 1, 2009

• my 9 week old has an attitude problem. Good Luck!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 1:45 PM on May. 1, 2009

• It's probably just a phase and it will pass as quick as it came.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:52 PM on May. 1, 2009

• It is not an attitude problem, it is developmentally appropriate behavior. Older babies and toddlers can get really clingy and demanding at times. These "velcro days" usually have a cause (even if we only know after the fact): teething, illness, a developmental advance. But even when you know the reason behind a clingy episode, it can still be very frustrating, particularly if you had something you expected to get done or if you were simply anticipating some time to yourself.
    Only you can determine what your limits are and what you want/need to do for your children and yourself. When we are pushed past our personal limits, many of us experience resentment and anger. I think our children pick up on this and feel threatened. During these times, my children turn all of their energy toward keeping my attention on them.
    Try to talk to her in a clam voice and stay positive!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:59 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Amen Maggiemom! My nine month old is the same way. At first I thought she was developing an attitued problem. After doing some reading online I found out it's totally normal at this age. It's also time to start teaching discipline. Nothing harsh, mind you. Just calm explinations in a strong tone of voice when she acts up is about all you can do. And don't expect her to understand, mine doesn't. But it starts to pave the way for correcting bad behavior. She also may be trying to tell you she wants to do something else or needs something else. Maybe a different toy, activity, something to drink or a snack. Just try different things and see what works. Also, remember babies can't communicate with words. So at this age, when they start to develope thier own likes and dislikes, they can't tell you what they are. Imagine how frustrating this would be for you. I'd probably scream too! Good Luck!
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 2:07 PM on May. 1, 2009