How to get toddler to drink from straw?

My son is almost 18 months old. How did you get your child to drink out of a straw? Mine just chews on it. Thanks!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:58 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I taught my son by putting something in the straw and then letting it flow into the mouth(you holding it up and taking you finger off to let it flow) after they get use to that I would plug the end with my finger and make him suck to get anything out. this worked well for me.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:14 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Use a sippy cup. Chewing on the straw can be very dangerous - a piece could break off an lodge in his throat. Children under four should not have them.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:26 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I'm not trying to get him to use a straw all the time. I'm trying to get it to where he can't drink out of our cups when we are in a resturant, so the sippy cup will be one less thing to worry about. He likes to throw his sippppy when he gets angry or upset.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 2:44 PM on May. 1, 2009

• My daughter is 18 months and we've been trying to master the straw thing too! She knows how to suck on it when we get the drink in it and leave our fingers on the opposite end (she actually sucks not just lets it fall into her mouth, lol) but she doesn't quite understand sucking on it while it's in a cup. (She also loves to play with straws, waves them around like wands and all sorts of things. She thinks theyre the coolest "toy" ever.)

madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 2:47 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I would take the straw and put my finger over it and let him suck it out the end. Finally he got the concept of drinking it without me holding one finger over the end.
    masonsmom2389

Answer by masonsmom2389 at 4:30 PM on May. 1, 2009

• We always put our finger on the end and then let it run out of the straw into his mouth until he got the hang of it and started sucking through the straw on his own. He started drinking from a straw at 14 months and he's 16months now. Maybe try that and then a little while later make him suck on the straw while you have your finger over it.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 6:55 PM on May. 1, 2009