"free range" children?

if you watched The View this morning, you'll know what I mean. a woman who last year let her 9 or 10 year old son take the subway by himself wrote a book about how to "free range" your child and not be paranoid about it. the son asked if he could ride the subway by himself and she and her husband discussed it and provided him with a map and money...etc. the woman who abandoned her children on the side of the road is a different story imo since it was forced and the children didnt see it coming. but how do you feel about the subway thing? Whoopi pointed out: yes your child could get kidnapped or bullied, but a plane could crash on the child too! I know I wouldnt do it. I'll let my son play in the backyard with little supervision, but never take a subway by himself at that age, no matter how well he knows how to do it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• this was also on cafemom daily buzz a week or so ago.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 2:03 PM on May. 1, 2009

• No, I don't believe in it. Maybe it would have been okay about 60 years ago,but not today.. NO WAY!
    Anonymous

• its funny you should ask i was driving through town today and two little boys were walking down the street they were probably like seven or eight. now we live in a small town but big enough that not everyone knows everyone else ya know? i thought who would just let their children that young just roam around? so to your question no absolutey would i not do that
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:05 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Not gonna happen with my son. I don't care if he wrote the software that made the maps for the subway. He's not going without me...
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:05 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I am a free range parent. If I had prepared him, then he would be allowed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:17 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I'm a free range parent, too. Lenore Skenazy is my hero. My oldest is almost 9 but she would never be allowed on the subway alone simply because she would have no clue what to do. I would, if the school would allow it, let her walk the 3 1/2 blocks home. But they don't let the kids walk alone until they are in 5th grade (she will be in 4th next year).
    The older 3 are allowed out to play whenever they want. They are 8,7 and 6. The 3yo can go out with them but not out in front by herself (she's okay alone in our back yard). And we live in Chicago, in the city, not some small town.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:52 PM on May. 20, 2009