What is your worst fear and how do you deal with it?

I don't like to fly, but I have to in order to get back and forth from the foreign country where we live while helping with a missions ministry to visit our hometown. I take a benadryl, try to keep my mind busy and sing hymns in my head when it gets really turbulent.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on May. 1, 2009 in About CafeMom

• I am frightened immensely by airline flights also. Your routine sounds much like mine OP, only I use a prescription strength medication for calming, but I also do the repetitive speech to calm myself. I use the Lord's Prayer. Particularly on take-off and landing.

The other thing that really frightens me is driving on the highway. Not in rural areas where everything is open. I am frightened by the highways in this large metro area that I live in. The drivers are insane and I prefer to just stick with the side streets and make my drive longer instead. A LOT of people think that the highway deal is crazy, but I don't care. I'll just plan the trip so that I have enough time to get where I need to be on time by using the main roads.
    Anonymous

• I worry that because I decided to be a SAHM and depend on my husband that if he ever divorces me I am going to be screwed, and the court is going to appoint custody of my daughter to him, even though I have more education and work experience.

. . . and we are happily married! lol
    Anonymous

• Fire is my worst fear, I live on a ground fl. apt.!
    afraid of burning down my building by leaving something on by accident,oven
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:17 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Something happening to my husband or daughter. I don't know how I would deal with it.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 2:24 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I'm terrified of the dark. I'm 24 and I know it's stupid (no need to make fun...I get that enough lol). I can't go outside after night fall. Even to the shed in our back yard (we have 3 big dogs so I honestly shouldn't be worried anyone is back there). I sleep with the tv on so there is light in the room. We have night lights everywhere and our son (who I blame it on when people ask) is only 10 weeks old. We leave the porch light on 24/7 on the off chance I come home after dark. I have panic attacks if it's dark with no lights on. It's terrible. As for what I do to overcome it.....night lights. I'll probly never get over it.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 2:49 PM on May. 1, 2009

• It seems like answer #1 is a fear for many SAHM these days. Giving up control of things can bring on some strong fears. I guess the theme is going in the direction of fear of things that are uncertain or unexpected, like a fire. Nightlights are great for those of us who fear the dark, aren' t they and now they are so pretty, like a decoration! I used to hate to leave a toy outside after dark when I was small or forget to leave my friends house early enough to beat nightfall. One thing that I have struggled with is the fear of losing a child, like while shopping or something. It is good that now they have Amber Alerts and things like that to help out nowadays. I finally had to just leave it up to God, because I can't be in control all the time, in all situations., although I do still try to avoid bad situations and always keep my eyes on them in public places or big crowds.
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 3:48 PM on May. 1, 2009

• my bigest fear and i even think that it is dumb is to be alone alone as in not be with a man alone as in not having anyone around me i cant stand to be all alone the more people that i have around me the better off i am i dont understand it either i just cant stand to have nobody around me and i hate it when my kids are gone my house is too empty i dont like to be alone i am afraid to die alone i would rather be dying in a nursing home when i get old instead of at home i dont know why like i said i cant stand to be alone
    tired703

Answer by tired703 at 5:07 PM on May. 1, 2009