parents of teens

I have a 16 year old and I am shocked at some of her friends parents. Its like well we already raised them now they can do whatever. They let their kids stay out all night, talk to them how they want. Go to coed unsupervised parties. Last weekend was prom my duaghter and 2 friends went to a prom an hour away the boys they went with were 10th grade servers and got to bring dates.. We drove and picked up my daughter. One got to spend the night in town with the boys amily and the other one got to stay out till 2am with the boy? Am I just old fashioned or do you think this is odd too?

okmommy08

Asked by okmommy08 at 2:28 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• So many parents are afraid to tell their kids "no" these days. They want to be their child's friend instead of their parents. Newsflash to those of you who want to be friends with your kid - they have a lot of friends who will come and go in their lives, but they only have ONE mother. You can have friend-like moments with your children, but every child deserves to have a parent who will enforce rules on their child...I am afraid that my kids are being raised around all the other kids who don't have rules...and, in turn, that makes me afraid of our future as a country. Just watch the movie "Idiocracy" funny movie, but they're on to something.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 6:17 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Senior prom would be one thing, but in 9th and 10th grade, I'd have to side with you. My daughter would not be allowed to stay out all night.

www.RamblingsOFaSAHM.com

Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 2:41 PM on May. 1, 2009

• You are not old fashioned at all. I call the other parents idiots (or maybe grandparents).

Answer by rkoloms at 3:04 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I agree with you. My SENIOR doesn't do that!
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 3:37 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Lack of parenting. It upsets me and some people should not have kids.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the above posters. Lack of parenting! I still have two kids in high school (sophomore and junior) and there is no way I would let them do those things. I know their friends and I know their friends parents. Any parent that is not on the ball is not a home where my child will spend time, that's for sure. I don't think that you are old fashioned at all, very smart in fact.
    Anonymous

• Some parents do take the role that now that their children are older, they need less supervision when in fact THEY NEED MORE! Total lack of parenting and it will come back to bite them on the behind if they're not careful. Makes me sick.
    Anonymous