Is it thrush?

My daughter (6 weeks) has white on her tongue, but not the sides of her mouth. It's also just like white as if she was sucking on a lollipop, not cottage cheesey like the internet says. She's been pulling off a lot after she's done eating (while she's still comfort sucking), but doesn't cry. I've been having sore and pink nipples, but it could be because the pulling off. I haven't been having the shooting pains like the last time we had thrush. Is this thrush? If it's not, is there harm in treating it? I called the midwife to get the medication (5 days of pills) she gave me last time and I still have medication for her (nystatin liquid) from last time. And if it is thrush, is there anything else we should be doing to make sure it goes away this time? I'm kind of wondering if we didn't kill it off good enough the last time.

doubleyouteeeff

Asked by doubleyouteeeff at 2:31 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My little girl's tongue looked white after she got done eating for the first couple months. Try to wait until she hasn't eaten for about an hour or two, and see if it still looks like that. But before you give her any meds, let your pedi look at it. You never know what the meds will do if she doesn't have thrush.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:46 PM on May. 1, 2009

• sounds like she might have some formula left on her tongue...my dd and ds had this also or if she spit up....if it gets worse go to doctor asap.
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 2:41 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Is it on the roof of her mouth? I wouldnt treat it yet, but definately watch it. Try wiping her tongue with a wash cloth, if its formula it will come off, thrush wont. Also if it is thrush, use the nystatin liquid on your nipples to cure you that way.Even if you dont have syptoms of thrush, if your baby has it so does your breasts.
    5isenoughforme

Answer by 5isenoughforme at 3:31 PM on May. 1, 2009