Is it okay to let your child choose whether to play or not?

I seem to be gettin alot of crap from other parents over the fact that my son has decided not to pursue playing baseball anymore. He's played for 3 years and is quite good. Well this year, he's stepped up with the big boys in kid pitch. He's seen kids repeativly get hit and hurt, but nothing too serious. Anyways, hes scared of gettin hit now after a near miss at the last game. He said he doesnt wanna play anymore. There are enough kids on the team that his absence is not gonna hurt so i said fine. I dont wanna make him do anything he dont wanna.

jmeweb918

Asked by jmeweb918 at 2:49 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Then you have done better then me..I could never coach, I'll watch from the sidelines and even close my eyes when needed, but coaching the kids is something I leave for the braver people!

My oldest boy (not atletic at all) wanted to try football, but I was nervous he would want to quit, so I set up ahead of time with the coachs that if he backed out with a week and a half I would get my money back. Sure enough 2 days in he knew it wasn't for him, thank goodness I knew it wouldn't last, he is my gamer/music child and the closet thing to sports he has ever liked was teetherball in elementary LOL.

Good luck to you guys...getting hit really isn't that bad...my son say's it's the hittin the ground that sucks!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:12 PM on May. 1, 2009

• by the way, the crap i get from other parents is that they make their kids stick with whatever they commit to! understandable in some stuff, but baseball?!
    jmeweb918

Answer by jmeweb918 at 2:51 PM on May. 1, 2009

• He has played for many years already. It's more the ones that wanna quit their first year with no good reason that I would gripe about. But, I say let him. My son played baseball, football, soccer and basketball for many years and for the last 2 years opted to stop. He decided he might want to go back to basketball next year though.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:54 PM on May. 1, 2009

• We have to decide if we want our kids to resent us for something we figured was in their best interest or not. It's not worth it.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:55 PM on May. 1, 2009

• if you force him to play, what good will it do him? he deserves to make the choice and i think you are doing the right thing by supporting his decision! good job mom!
    beff

Answer by beff at 2:58 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I agree with you. Why should you force him to play something that he doesn't want to? He won't be happy playing the game. Maybe he'll find something else that interest him. That's life as a kid. They get to dabble in this and that for a while :-)
    Jenuines3

Answer by Jenuines3 at 2:58 PM on May. 1, 2009

• i think him being happy is worth it. I'm still trying to convince him that it will be okay, and I'm gonna still take him to practice and hope maybe it was just a mood thing. I just dont wanna stick him out there and have him be miserable. I'm not a competitive mom, but i do tell them to try their best and have fun and as long as they do, thats being a winner to me!!
    jmeweb918

Answer by jmeweb918 at 3:03 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Sorry, but if it is only because he is afraid to get hit he needs to continue playing. I think every child has that fear and it goes away the first time they do get hit, If it is because he really doesn't want to play, then he shouldn't be forced to play. My son is forced to play, only because he is lazy and would rather be on the computer all the time. He is in baseball more for socialization versus anything else. I would sit down and talk to your son about what he would rather do instead and that no matter what sport or activity he does, there is a risk of getting hurt..that is part of the risk of playing sports.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:04 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Well sorry too! I cant set back and watch him be so scared of getting hit that he clams up at the plate and then gets negative remarks from the crowd annd made fun of from the other kids. its only a game!! life will go on without baseball. And I have set down and spoke with him, I think we are gonna try soccer next. still a chance of gettin hurt, but not hit in the face with a baseball.
    jmeweb918

Answer by jmeweb918 at 3:36 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I know you already replied but I agree with tyfry7496, but not for the same reasons necessarly. When we allow our kids to back out for fear of getting hurt we tell them not to take a risk, doesn't matter what it's for...sports, reading in front of the class, asking a girl out..... if he was just sick of baseball that would be different, have you tried to work with the coach, not talked only, but invovled?

My 2nd oldest is my athlete, and we have done them all, soccer is just as dangerous as football, my son broke two kids legs by kicking them instead of the ball and it happens a lot more then you would think, the last two years it has been my boy with broken bones but that was in football. Baseball is the "safest", basketball is also safer. So if he is really afraid of getting hurt stay away from soccer, go with baseball ( I know that isn't what he want's) or track.

But reconsider not letting him stop just cause of fear
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:19 PM on May. 1, 2009