Sleeping more than usual.

My 10 month old has been sleeping more than usual the last couple of days. I dont want to be paraniod and just to conclusions but my first thought it the swine flue virus. She stays with mother in law during the day and normal naps are 1-2 hours in the morning and maybe a short one in the evening. Latley she has been sleeping almost 3 hours in the morngin and night. I did notice that she has been pulling at her ear so i was thinging maybe getting an ear ache, but i just don't know. Any suggestions. Should i take her to doctor even thought there are no other symptoms?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• could be a growth spurt.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 2:54 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I highly doubt its swine flu unless she's been around someone who has been sick. She may be going through a growth spurt and needs more rest. Maybe getting a tooth. Or maybe just getting ready to change sleeping patterns. I'd watch for the next couple of days and if you're really concerned taker her to the doctor. Of course if she developes a cough, fever or displays any symptoms of the flu take her in immediately. Good luck.
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 2:55 PM on May. 1, 2009

• no symptoms usually means no problems in general anyways. if she was sick she'd have a fever, cough, etc. she might just be going through a change of sleeping patterns, might be going through a growth spurt.... if you think calling the dr. will put your mind at ease, thats what doctors are for! a few weeks ago my son was in bed at 830pm'ish and didnt wake up the next day till after 12pm and I had to jiggle him to wake him. I was a little paranoid, but he was just fine. just really tired I guess because we just moved
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:56 PM on May. 1, 2009

• My dd is also 10 mos and im going through the exact same thing. I took her to the doc to look at her ear and he aid its common for them to do this at this age because they are still exploring. As for the sleeping he said its a growth spurt more than likely or she is trying to kick out 1 nap (she usually takes 2) and not to be econcerned he even said to just enjoy it and nap with her lol
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 3:34 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Has she been around anyone with the virus? If you're in doubt take her to the doc, it can't hurt? But as a mother and stepmother of four, I have learned not to over-react in situations like this. Keep a close eye on her and call your pediatric nurse.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 5:55 PM on May. 2, 2009