Annoying fruit gnats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone happen to know how in the heck you get rid of fruit gnats & we dont have any fruit lying around either & they are soooo annoying!!!!

v_serenil

Asked by v_serenil at 2:54 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Home & Garden

• uugh we get them too. i think maybe they smell food in the garbage can or a tiny microscopic morsel in the sink or dishwasher and they fly in the house when we open a door. how to get rid of them? I dunno. I guess just upkeep!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:58 PM on May. 1, 2009

• scrub down everything they seem to land on. Make sure there isn't anything rotting, (even potatoes you forgot about in a closet can attract them, or fruit juice spilled under the fridge). Keep windows and doors closed for a few days. Try putting out soda bottles with plastic wrap over the top with a few holds poked in it big enough for the flies to get in. Put a fruity soap and water in the bottom of it, or even a juice or vinegar. They'll get in and be trapped. Clean your trash can with bleach and water, and make sure it's taken out regularly. It takes a lot of work, but it can be done. GL.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:00 PM on May. 1, 2009

• ; ) ok thanks! And I even do that to but I do notice there is a decrease when there is absolutly noghting in the sink!
    v_serenil

Answer by v_serenil at 3:01 PM on May. 1, 2009

• OMG I need to find out the answer to this I have been wondering the same thing.

The only thing that I have noticed is when I have fruit yes they appear so I started to put my fruit in the refridgerator ( I hate cold fruit but you got to do what you have to do). But what is so weird they seem to be embedded in the fruit which I think is very gross I mean it is not like you can see the damn gnat on the fruit right away. The fruit looks fresh and pretty if anything i hope if I am right they are embedded in the part that we don't eat.
    Oh and another thing I have notice when I put out the trash out in the garage that is when I see those annoying things I try to shut the door fast enough but somehow they come in I hate those things. So now I put the trash away from our kitchen door. Oh and when ever you are enjoying a drink and don't think you will finish it (like a soda) leave it out they usually climb in there and drown...lol
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:01 PM on May. 1, 2009

• put a small glass of wine on the counter, it attracts them an theyll fly in and cant get out, or honey, anything sweet
    Anonymous

• If you see them clustering around the sing, fill the sink with bleach, pour in a couple capfulls, let it sit for a few minutes (to make sure the sink is clean) and then let it drain, this will clean your pipes a little too so they'll be less likely to hover. Or use draino. That stuff's pretty strong.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:10 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I meant to fill the sink with water, not bleach...then add a couple capfulls of bleach.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:13 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I rather stick to the small glass of wine, because filling the sink with water will be alot of waste of water and harmful fumes of bleach hurts my nose and eyes:/
    bettyboob83

Answer by bettyboob83 at 11:28 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Mix boiling water and vinegar and pour it down your sink and garbage disposal. This will get rid of a lot of them. And take your garbage out daily until you get rid of them.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 2:09 AM on May. 2, 2009

• This is what we do (suggested by an exterminator): Take a glass and fill the bottom with some red wine vinegar. Put plastic wrap over the top and poke in a few holes. Leave it on a counter or table for a couple of days. The flies will be attracted to the vinegar and go into the holes, but they won't be able to get out.
    Anonymous