How hard is it to adopt a baby?

I'm considering adopting a baby girl in the near future. I have 3 boys and they want a sister!!

jmeweb918

Asked by jmeweb918 at 2:57 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Adoption

• That's the problem with jumping to conclusions......you usually get it wrong.

Adopting is definitely time consuming, emotionally wracking, and frustrating as all get out. But it's also worth every moment and every frustration.

We chose to adopt through foster care. We went the foster to adopt route and ended up adopting a baby girl who had been placed in our care. You can be pretty specific about stating what you are looking for when fostering to adopt.

Good luck to you!
    Anonymous

• Just as giving birth, adoption is not an easy process, but well worth the effort. It has it's own unique delivery pains...waiting, emotional stress and turmoil, mounds of paperwork and invasive questions from strangers...to name a few.

There are so many children who wait. You may look into adopting a waiting child that is not necessarily a newborn since you have some parenting experience under your belt. You sound like you would be a good candidate for that, or maybe special needs adoption?
    Anonymous

• From what I've read on here some people wait years to adopt a baby and my two cents wanting a sister for your boys is not a reason to adopt. A baby is not a play thing or a toy. It's a human being.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 3:06 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I know that miriamz........... and i think i deserve some positive credit for trying to give some poor abandond lil girl a loving home with 3 big brothers!!!! That wasnt my only reason, thats just a short part of it. My husband and I ANR MY BOYS wanted another baby, hoping for a girl, but after the birth of my last son I was diagnosed with cancer and had an emergency hyst... blah blah, just a bit more to my story so maybe you wont think I'm doin this for some wrong reason. And to the first anon, I'm not wanting a newborn, heck no!! I was thinkin of just a young girl round the age of my youngest boy. but this is something i'm thinkin about in a few years, som maybe i shouldnt have said "baby" sorry. but thanks fer bein positive.
    jmeweb918

Answer by jmeweb918 at 3:22 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Wanting a girl to add to my 3 boys? hmmmm, not a reason to adopt? I love kids and just wanna give a lil girl a home with 3 loving brothers? how is that wrong?
    jmeweb918

Answer by jmeweb918 at 3:24 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I'm sorry. I thought you were like this woman who solicits every pregnant mom here who mentions that she's having a girl because she has two boys and wants them to have a sister.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 3:26 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I was also under the impression that you only wanted a girl because your boys asked for a sister but girls don't stay baby girls very long. They grow into toddlers and pre-schoolers etc. and your sons may not always be so thrilled to have a little girl following them around.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 3:30 PM on May. 1, 2009

• It isn't wrong. As long as you are doing this because you truly want to raise and love this child for who this child is and what unique gifts this baby can bring as she grows - it is okay. Some on here will disagree. It is up to you and your husband to decide how to add and enrich your family and when. Adoption is a wonderful way to do that as long as it is done for the right reasons. It is not really up to any outsider to determine if it is right or wrong. It is up to you and your husband. As far as your actual question: it took us only months for our child. It took two years for a friend of mine, and there are people who fall in between.
    Anonymous