at what age should you take a child off a binki?

My oldest DD took herself off of everything by herself so I am not use to this whole taking my child off of things lol. My oldest took herself off a bottle at 9 months to which i put her formula in a sippy cup and she never took a binki oh wait I take that back she had it for like 2 weeks then she didn't want it anymore.
Well, with my second DD she is almost 16 months old and achually was off the bottle during the day by 13 months old, but I couldn't get her off a bottle to bed so I switched it with the binki which she would take that to replace the bottle and I rather her take that then a bottle anyway so she didn't get tooth decay. The thing is she is 16 months old when should I take her off the binki? She only takes the binki at night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All kids have a non-nutritive sucking desire until at or around 18 months. I took my son off two weeks before he turned two. Now, after reading and thinking on it, I probably wouldn't take them off, I would wait for him to just stop on his own. But, two is good IMO.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:39 PM on May. 1, 2009

• oh and I forgot she does take it at naptime also
    Anonymous

• Oh really? Everyone tells me she shouldn't have one and I should never gave her one and this and that so I am not a bad mom then if I let her give it up? How old are kids when they will give it up if it is on there own?
    Anonymous

• Sometimes they go till 4....sometimes they quit sooner. It all depends on the kid. If you feel like she is too old, then you can stop it anytime. But, tell those that berate you that kids do need to suck things and that stops at or around 18 months, sometimes longer. It is your kids. If she truly wants it and it comforts her, why yank it away. I still feel bad that I took his comfort thing away.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:46 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Sometimes even longer...but, at least, at 2,3or 4, they are still little kids. Even if she is still doing it at school age, she will realize that no one else has one and want to stop. Never saw a school kid with a paci have you? And, at least it isn't her thumb.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:48 PM on May. 1, 2009

• i know i am glad it isn't her thumb either when she was 3 months until i think 8 months she sucked her first 2 fingers and that is why i gave her the binki i didn't want her in the habit of sucking her fingers and she hasn't since. She would suck her fingers so hard that they were red and she would fall asleep with her fingers in her mouth and still be sucking them in her sleep so I rather have her on a binki thanks
    Anonymous

• LOL...good choice. But, yeah. I would just let it go and not worry.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:04 PM on May. 1, 2009

• She is using it for just sleeping so I wouldn't worry too much about it like BradenIsMySon says.

I think the problem with binkis is that some parents give it to their child to shut them up and so it becomes habit forming and a child uses it all the time and then its very difficult to take it away. Your daughter is just using it so sleep - I mean my son is 18 months and although can go to sleep without nursing, he sometimes still wants the nursing to nod off. I am not going to take that away from him if he wants it now and then...so I wouldnt do the same with your daughter :)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:19 PM on May. 1, 2009