How accurate is an ultrasound done at 12 1/2 weeks?

How accurate is an ultrasound in dating a pregnancy when done at 12 1/2 weeks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• For the sex of the baby? What did they say?
    ours

Answer by ours at 3:49 PM on May. 1, 2009

• No... for DATING a pregnancy
    Anonymous

• As accurate as you can get. They usually stick with their first due date anyway which is annoying.
    ours

Answer by ours at 3:53 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Pretty accurate. I was always told that earlier is better, cause you can fit the whole baby on the screen and measure parts.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:57 PM on May. 1, 2009

• My niece just had a baby girl. The doctors kept changing her due date at least 4 times based on the ultra-sounds. In the end the very first date they gave her was the closest. That just shows, that each case is unique. Her baby I guess was developing kind of slow, she looked smaller - and guess what? She still is very small for her age. She probably just will be a very petite person. She is 1 year old and doctors say she is underweight, but I look at her and see a gorgeous healthy and very active child. In short: I am sure, in majority cases, the ultra-sound helps to calculate the correct due date, but there is always a margin of error.
    marpu76

Answer by marpu76 at 11:05 PM on May. 1, 2009

• The earlier an ultrasound is given, then more accurate it can be. An ultrasound given at 8 weeks or so usually has a window of about 3-4 days either way. An ultrasound given in third trimester can be almost as much as a month off.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 12:57 AM on May. 7, 2009