why is it that my obgyn won't check my cervix to see if im dilating?

she said she will be checking me only if i have any pain, is it supposed to be like that? i wanna know if im progressing at all im 37 weeks today!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is better to not be checked and not necessary to check. And even if you aren't or are 2 or 3, it won't tell you if you will be in labor soon.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:50 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I think they weight till 37/38 weeks depending on the obgyn. They don't want to mess with anything because it can bring on labor those bastards! haha I threw a fit and got mine to check, turns out I was only 1cm and never progressed after that
    ours

Answer by ours at 3:51 PM on May. 1, 2009

• it opens you up to infection so they do it at their discretion
    Anonymous

• A vaginal exam can introduce bacteria and cause and infection, it can cause premature rupture of membranes, and it does not tell you anything. You can be 4 centimeters for 6 weeks or you can be closed and long and go into labor 2 hours later. There is no point and there are risks.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 4:00 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Mine never checked...I went into labor at 37 weeks. I thought it was just because I wasn't far enough along yet but it sounds like they don't always check from the other responses.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:07 PM on May. 1, 2009

• possibility of introducing an infection maybe. That is why they limit unecessary contact.
    Anonymous

• yeah i am 37 weeks too and just had my vaginal exam monday too check for inffections and bacteria and too be rechecked for dieases. they would not check too see if i had dialiated they said it wouldnt matter anyways.. yeah I know .. I wanted too know also.. Monday i have another app I will be 38 wks then !! we are due about the same time...
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 4:41 PM on May. 1, 2009

• they dont check usually until u are 38 weeks and then they check again when u are 39 weeks. i was dilated a 1 at 39 weeks before and i got induced three days later cause the pain was killing me and i couldnt take it anymore. this time i got checked for dilation at 35 weeks but because i was almost in premature labor having contractions every 2 minutes. but thankfully wasnt dilating. now i am 38 weeks. i already discussed getting induced on my duedate again. i definately dont want to be late. its great getting induced. u know when the baby is coming and ur ready and excited. i wasnt nervous at all.
    bisbeesmiley

Answer by bisbeesmiley at 8:35 PM on May. 2, 2009