Kids are overtired, should they be napping?

I have a daughter who is 3 and a 2 year old son. Currently they go to bed at 6:30pm/7:30pm, I've considered keeping them up for longer but quite frankly they are getting so tired I've put them up at 6pm recently just to cope, I'm not sure whether they should start having naps again, they stopped as they were just screaming and not going to sleep but I'm wondering should I put them to nap in the afternoon so both me and them can have some rest? I'm usually on my own with them all day and it's very frustrating when they are acting up and I'm exhausted as well, just want to know whether napping is a good idea for them?

princessfairy

Asked by princessfairy at 4:08 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Dude took a small nap at this age.. but at least have some 30min or so of down time.. make it quite in the house, turn off the lights have a just lay down and rest.. i also put both my kids to bed between 6:30-7pm.. they are 5 and 18m..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:10 PM on May. 1, 2009

• If they will go down for a nap then do so but if not just put them to bed earlier like you have been.

My son is only 17 months but some days he has a nap and some days he doesn't and goes to bed early. I just go with what he wants really.

Anonymous

• Oh man! My kiddo is 3 and a half and STILL sleeps from 1:30 till 4:30 daily, then goes to bed at 8pm and is up at 6 sharp...I NEED that quiet time to get stuff done without "help" :) If they will sleep during the day- DO IT! :)
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 4:22 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I have a 2 year old, and he's all over the pace, some days with no naps, but goes down around 6:30 pm and other days he naps around 2-5 and won't sleep til 10:30 pm, I'm 7 months pregnant and can't deal with the nap battle, so I'm just going with the flow, if it takes me longer than 30 to put him for a nap, I just call the whole thing off, and try to give him some quite time for an hour

Shaima78

Answer by Shaima78 at 4:22 PM on May. 1, 2009

• If they will nap then let them.I have a rule before 1:00 and only 2 hours.I have v3 kids and everyone of them still went to bed by 7:30.I stopped at 3 and 1 /2 worked great for me.Also a little catnap in the car always made them in a better mood.Sleep is good.
    peahnuts

Answer by peahnuts at 4:25 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I still give my 18 mo. old naps. Sometimes I break them up into 1 hour naps (2-4 hours apart), sometimes I give him one 2 hour nap. It depends on the activities of the day, and the weather, and of course his health. He is less moody and cranky than his other friends his age. After work, my husband even knows the difference when he has gotten a good nap or not. And he still gets a full 12 hours at night. Scientifically, it is a fact that the human brain learns the most while the body is in sleep mode. All the events of the day are being reviewed and stored into memory. At the same time, the body can also heal better and faster with sleep. So naps are really important to anyone at any age.
    Ophy

Answer by Ophy at 8:41 PM on May. 1, 2009