What could cause you to get a positive on a ovulation test but neg on hpt when you have already ovulated?

This is weird because i ovulated back on the 20 and 21st of april and today i'm 10 to 11dpo. I've taken hpt and its neg. i was just playing around because i've heard that you can get positive on ovulation kit if you were pregnant and i know this because it happened to me with my first child back 5 yrs ago. i didn't know i was preg and we were trying and i took a ovualtion test and it was pos so i thought i was ovualting so we baby danced and come to find out i was already preggo. I have been having headaches and my breast are a little sore...nothing else besides a little more discharge than normal a whitish kinda yellow color. It looks a little yellow on toilet paper then white when on my finger so if to much info.

pandora09

Asked by pandora09 at 4:16 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• a positive on a ovulation kit tells when to belly dance, it doest mean you will actually get pg that month.
    Anonymous

• You are testing on the hpt too early.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 4:24 PM on May. 1, 2009

• you can get a pos on an ovulation test if you are pregnant but not the other way around...ovulation tests for LH only (luteinizing hormone) an HPT tests for HCG(human chorionic gonadropin and can detect LH along with it)

MiraclesDHappen

Answer by MiraclesDHappen at 4:26 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I have already ovulated though and we done baby danced all around and on the day i was ovulating. I have already experienced getting a pos on ovulation kit while i was preg with one of my other preg i was asking how common is it to do that again?
    pandora09

Answer by pandora09 at 4:27 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Just because it tells you that you are ovulating doesnt mean your 100% going to get pregnant that month! Its just when your best chance is.
    Anonymous

• well i didn't say i was going to get preggo this month you must not understand what i'm asking. I know that opk are for ovulation I'm not stupid. I asked because I've gotten pos before on ONE(opk) and was preggo....Your not even answer my question...ok i know the difference between opk and htp and what they are used for...and i know that when you get a pos on opk that it usually means you're ovulating but i know my body and i'm NOT having cm that is egg white like raw egg so i know I"m not ovulating
    pandora09

Answer by pandora09 at 10:03 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Ok anon. She is saying she has already ovulated in April. Now she is getting another pos. on the OPK when she shouldnt.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 10:21 PM on May. 1, 2009