how annoying.....

my boys (especially the 5 yr old and the 3 1/2 yr old) all are driving me nuts with their eating patterns! ugh! its like they will be SOOOOOOOOO hungry and then i make them something to eat and 1 bite (if im lucky) later they are full and want a treat (my hubbys fault because he got them thinking that after a meal theyll get a treat of some sorts)and ill tell them no treat because they dont need a treat after every meal- so theyll get mad and storm off and an hour later theyre hungry again because they didnt want to finish eating their real food- its driving me nuts! its to the point now where ive stopped feeding them when they ask to be fed- i just feed them at meal times because i know the food is just going to be wasted- and i hate waste! am i doing the right thing? any other ideas to get my kids out of this bad habit?

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 4:25 PM on May. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I say, you are right. They are taking advantage of getting a treat after eating.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:28 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I say offer food when everyone else is eating. They won't starve. They can either eat what is given to them when it is mealtime, or they can choose not to eat. It may go for a few days that they don't eat, but I bet within 4-5 days, they will be eating at meals. Cut out the dessert and limit before meal snacks as best as possible. When you get them eating well again, you can add snacks back into their day, but not within an hour of mealtime.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:33 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Stop buying treats. Keep snacks healthy (fruit, brown rice or quinoa pudding, etc.).

Answer by rkoloms at 4:53 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I would just wrap whatever they are taking one bite of up and they can finish that when they are hungry again. It sounds like they are saying they are hungry to get the treat.

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 5:09 PM on May. 1, 2009

• ;um... in our house the rule is you don't have to eat it, but..... there is nothing else after unless the food is ALL gone. And snack alone is the treat, there is no treat after snack.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 5:56 PM on May. 1, 2009

• You can't have sweets until after breakfast. Also, we try to limit snacking in general. If you don't finish your lunch you can't have a snack. If you don't finish your dinner you can't have desert. Don't let them have anything else until they finish whatever meal or snack they didnt finish before. I have saved food over night because my SS was getting so bad about this at one point. I told him once he finished his chicken then he could have a peanut butter and jelly. At that time he was big into making himself get sick to get out of eating. We have taken care of that now.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 7:00 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I am going through the same thing with my daughter and it is driving me nuts!!! She wants to turn every meal into a circus act and then ask for a snack right after I give up. Hell no. The last couple days I have put breakfast on the table at 8 and removed it at 8:30. Lunch was at 12, removed at 12:30. Dinner was at 5...removed at 5:30. If she eats all of her meal, she can have a snack. She realized I meant business after a couple days of being consistent with that. When it is meal time, you sit and eat your meal and there will be no snacks if you don't eat your meal.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:06 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I am dreading this age with my son!

But I think you're doing the right thing.
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 8:52 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I think u r doing the right thing..sounds like treats are the goal! I would do what Kabbot01 said- put the food out @ certain times & if it's not eaten then oh well...they'll get the point. this is home not a resturant or burger king..its not gonna be ur way all the time! i can tell my (almost) 2yr old is getting to this point too- he is wanting junk food instead of eating @ meal time..frustrating! and it becomes more work for you trying to be creative to get them to eat!!
    Ms.JiggityJones

Answer by Ms.JiggityJones at 11:39 PM on May. 1, 2009