Help with naps!

I have a 7 month old who will not nap in his crib, he wants to nap on me! I have resorted to the cry it out method, I have tried everything else. He cries for 2 hours and never quits! He stands in his crib and cries. As soon as I get him he quits crying and is sleeping in my arms in 5 minutes. If I put him back in his crib he wakes up and it starts all over. Surerly I can't let him cry for more than 2 hours can I?

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 4:31 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could try reading him to sleep, then gently laying him in a crib (or even on the floor to start out with if he won't go into his crib-just keep an eye on him though) When he gets used to that start reading to him until he's really sleepy, but not all the way asleep and then try putting him down. Keep putting him down earlier and earlier until you only read 1 book then put him down.

Make sure to just find a routine and stick with it, even if it's hard. It will get easier in the long run- but it will take endurance and patience. GL!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 4:34 PM on May. 1, 2009

• is it possible he is teething? is he the same way at night?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:34 PM on May. 1, 2009

• He goes to bed perfectly fine at night
    expectoct

Answer by expectoct at 4:35 PM on May. 1, 2009

• well like the other poster said. make it a routine. i guess at 7 months he is still taking 2 naps??? well make it a point to lay him down at the same times every day. and let him cry for about 30 minutes then go back in there lay him down without saying a word and walk back out. let him cry again and keep going. it is going to take a lot of patience and you are going to feel like you are going to scream and pull out your hair or hit something. just keep your cool and be consistent.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:37 PM on May. 1, 2009

• try to lay him in his bed and rub his back til he falls asleep do that until he just goes to sleep on his own!

Anonymous

• kate_...
    Two hours is too long to let a baby cry, period. I'm not trying to be rude I promise, but have you tried anything else before resorting to CIO? I highly recommend The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. There is also a group on here called Cry It Out Alternitives. Cry it out has been proven to be harmful and often times, doesnt work.

OR, you could buy a wrap or sling and let him nap in there so he's napping yet you dont have to sit in one spot for his entire nap. Here's two very informative articles on the cry it out method.

http://drbenkim.com/articles-attachment-parenting.html

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/1998/04.09/ChildrenNeedTou.html
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 5:05 PM on May. 1, 2009