Speech Help

My daughter is 3.5. When she gets excited she talks really fast. She also mumbles a bit. Strangers and some family members don't understand her. She says some words very clearly. She will say "flop" for "stop" and "uk" for "up". She uses more phrases then sentences. Her Dr. claims he is not an expert in this, and insurance won't cover developmental delay. I know the school district has Child Find, but I worry that they won't be able to give her individiual attention that she needs do to case load. What should I do? Please help!

CSJMommy3

Asked by CSJMommy3 at 4:37 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Didn't her Dr. give you any ideas? Ours was super. He referred us to our local children's hospital for an eval and then we went to our local hospital for therapy. Your right they don't cover developmental delays, but contact your MR/DD board, we have a program called Early Intervention and our daughter went through them, it didn't cost me a dime. The hospital therapy did, it was 50 dollars per half hour twice a week, and no we couldn't afford it, but we went anyway. Our son was severly delayed and it was a good thing we didn't wait until kindergarten. He's in seventh grade and is still in speech, but he's sooo much better. Daugher had processing delays which affects her comprehension. Also check your local colleges that have speech therapy as a major, they have graduate students that can do the therapy for their clinical hours and are still under the guidance of an advisor. Good Luck and PM me if you need to.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 4:43 PM on May. 1, 2009

• We just took our 3.5 year old to the speech therapist yesterday. Our insurance does not cover the therapy she needs either. The therapist said that most school districts will pay for the testing but the child has to basically fail the tests in a major way, she also suggested looking private speech therapists in the phone book. She said at 3.5 adults (even strangers) should be able to understand her 90% of the time. that is not the case with my daughter. We are paying for services at the hospital until we get something figured out. Good luck! Def. start the sooner the better. it was worth it paying out of pocket for the eval.
    monroesmum

Answer by monroesmum at 5:47 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Even if the school can't give her all the help she needs, some help is far better than none. Call them. Now.

By 36 months, strangers should be able to understand 75% or more of what she says. And she should be using full sentences, not with 100% correct grammar but full sentences - 5,6,7 or more words long.... Mommy, look at that big dog! He's like the dog in my story. I like dogs. They have soft fur and lick me. Can we get a dog? And that's at 36 months. Yours is 42 months.

Some help is better than none. And they will have activities for you to do at home that will help. You can also find books at Amazon or other places. I even know of a CD called Speechercise that may help. Get going! Call. She's worth it.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:14 PM on May. 1, 2009

• IF they have child find they CAN EVALUATE her and then go from there. At least it will cover the evaluation (and yes that is indiv.) and if they can give some help/therapy great and then take it from there. If she needs speech therapy the very least the speech therapists will do is give you ideas and at least after she is evaluated you will have a better picture in your mind.
    C'mon, its there USE IT. Then decided.
    And it terms of the excited thing its normal, they also tend to go through a stuttering phase right around that time (totally freaked me out when my son did it so I warn others ahead of time).
    I'd go ahead and do it. Also make sure that I use full sentences and grammer and rephrase when she says something i.e. she says the phrase (what do you mean by that ??) and you say it into a full (or longer) sentence.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:46 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Until you can get to the therapy, I found, with my son, if I told him to slow down and take his time his speech is much better. And when he says a word wrong, i tell him how to correctly pronounce it. And, when he was that little, I would have him look at my mouth so he could see how I was forming the words.
    But I would still suggest looking into everything you can that could possibly help. Speech is not something you want them to be behind with. And, the way I look at it, I would rather they need a little help now and be ready for kindergarten then for them to be behind when they get there and need to be held back.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:59 PM on May. 1, 2009

• my daughter has speech delays cuz of her prematurity and she is in speech therapy and she got like only 2-3 kids in the class or half an hour i helped her out alot.
    lienna

Answer by lienna at 11:47 PM on May. 1, 2009

• im sorry this is added to my answer she had speech therapy in school and that helped being with other kids her age.
    lienna

Answer by lienna at 11:49 PM on May. 1, 2009

• go ahead and check things out to see what your school system has for ages 3-5. They may be able to provide speech therapy if she qualifies or a preschool classroom experience. They will also check her hearing which is very important to know if she is hearing speech sounds correctly. If she has fluid in her ears alot, then the speech she hears may be distorted. Her speech sound errors may be developmental which means that her errors are typical for her age. For your peace of mind, take her to a specialist or a school system developmental screening to get some answers.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 12:02 AM on May. 2, 2009