Car Seat ?

My son is almost 3 and in a front facing car seat but his legs are hanging so far over they hit my seat and his shoulders are slightly higher than the top of the straps. I tried my friends buster and he looked to small in it. Should I keep him in the car seat or switch him to the booster

NicholeAT

Asked by NicholeAT at 4:42 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my DD is the same way she is 4 now, but I put her in the booster seat because she was to tall for the car seat which made the straps really tight to get her into I am not sure what is the right age to put them in a booster seat I think over 40 pounds, but like you my daughter looked uncomfertable that way because she was so dang tight so she has been in a booster seat since 3 years
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:49 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Your child needs to be in a 5pt harness until 65lbs- usually around 5/6 yrs.
    Graco Nautilus is a great seat. I just got it for $150 from walmart.com.
    Hes only 3- so it would be a good investment for you because he can use the harness for ATLEAST another 2 years, then it converts into a booster.
    I cannot stress how important a 5pt harness is for the safety of your child. An unreliable car seat belt is not enough to keep him safe.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 4:54 PM on May. 1, 2009

• If his shoulders are over the top slot for the harness then he has outgrown that seat. At almost 3, he is NOT old enough for a booster seat. He needs a 5-point-harness. A booster seat requires a lot more maturity - not height, not weight, not even age - maturity. If he drops a toy, he will try to get it. He will be out of his booster seat before you know it and when you do notice, you will be in a panic trying to pull over.
    Go shopping for new seat. One that will let him use a 5-point-harness longer and that can convert to a booster when he is taller and more mature.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:07 PM on May. 1, 2009

• i would say put him in the booster seat if his legs r hanging over and straps too tight most likely he isnt safe in it plus it probably isn't comfortable either!
    sarastorer

Answer by sarastorer at 6:23 PM on May. 1, 2009

• This car seat isn't safe. Neither is a booster. He needs a bigger car seat.
    Anonymous

• I asked the kids doc on his opinion but my son is tall too. it has to do with height and weight and age.
    lienna

Answer by lienna at 11:43 PM on May. 1, 2009