Calorie help and others.

Is it calories or calories from fat that should be low?

Example:

Calories 120
Calories from fat 30

My doctor said to eat low calorie low fat foods.

Also, should I cut out dairy as well as carbs (she told me to cut out carbs). Or should I just eat dairy made with skim milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Honestly, what you need to do is read the book, Skinny Bitch. It's full of cursing and crap, but it will point you in the right direction. It's not carbs that are bad. It's the refined foods, which are usually carbs, like white flour, (& white bread!), white sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, white rice, etc. Look for more natural foods with the fewest ingredients, or better yet, make stuff from scratch. A lot of nutritional experts will tell you to shop the perimeter of the grocery store. That's where all the fresh stuff is. If you can cut out dairy, by all means, do it. It is a waste of space in your stomach, that just adds way too many calories, and junks up your digestive system.
    Anonymous

• Something else is a documentary called "Processed People". I haven't seen it yet, but plan to. It explains how the American diet it so bad because we rely on processed foods instead of real, whole foods.
    Anonymous

• That doesn't answer my question at all. Calories or calories from fat? Which one should I watch?
    Anonymous

• It doesn't answer your question because neither of your ideas are correct. You need fats. You need calories. You need a healthy balance. Just cutting fats and calories will not help you lose weight. You need to eat correctly, meaning the types of foods you eat, and the quantities and the correct times of day for your lifestyle. For instance, did you know that cold pressed coconut oil per serving has 130 calories of which 130 are from fat, yet adding this to your diet, even on top of what you eat now, will help you lose weight? That is why I can't honestly answer your exact question and suggested a book. It's not as simple as we would like it to be. :)
    Anonymous

• I'm pretty sure my doctor knows what she's talking about. I'll stick with what she told me. Thanks.
    Anonymous

• OP doctors tend to go old school with their "diet" information. Low fat foods such as "low fat" snackwell cookies tend to be higher in carbs....carbs your body does not burn off turns into, guess what, FAT! And their are fats such as mono-unsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are healthier and GOOD for you, they are found in olives, olive oil, nuts, avacados...omega-3 fatty acids found in fish like salmon are also healthy, trans fats, saturated fats are bad for you. So not all fats are created equal. The other posters are correct in that you need a HEALTHY balance, lean meats and poultry, steamed vegetables, fish, whole grain carbs all in a healthy balance.

If you go low-fat or no carb you starve your body of things it NEEDS and usually add too much of something you don't need and you won't see any positive results!
    Anonymous

• I have lost over 100 pounds in the last year. I gave up white breads and refined starches. Cut out soda, including diet sodas, drink plenty of water, eat as much protein as you can. Double up on veggies and eat fresh fruits. Eat whole grain breads and pastas. Use olive oil and fat free dressings or balsamic vinegar is awesome. Soups are always good to help keep you full. For a sweet tooth frozen yogurt and a little chocolate syrup or sherbert.
    CasualCandles

Answer by CasualCandles at 9:26 PM on May. 1, 2009