How do I get rid of centipedes?

Does anyone know how to get rid of centipedes and keep them out? We have had 4 so far this year. Two have dropped on us from the ceiling, one was in the shower, and the other in the bathtub.

AngelicWays1983

Asked by AngelicWays1983 at 5:23 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I understand why they freak everyone out including me but they are beneficial!!! They eat roaches, spiders, and sometimes mice! Google it and check out the wikipedia site!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 5:36 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Moon them.
    Anonymous

• House Centipedes REALLY gross me out.

You can have an exterminator spray for them which if you want to use chemicals, normal DIY chemicals you get at the store won't kill them. Centipedes are not easily killed with chemicals in general; they are extremely resilent.

Since House Centipede can live for up to 10 years (and grow to 4 inches long!) and give both live birth AND lay eggs, killing every last one you see will reduce their numbers. Also, keep your basement cool and dry. They go towards moisture.

Good luck, we have them too (which is why I know such a rediculous amount about them). I don't like chemicals so I just step on them and vaccum a lot and now we rarely see any.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:28 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Lol, I guess we have twice. My 2 year old even screamed at the one in the shower, but their friends still keep coming.
    AngelicWays1983

Answer by AngelicWays1983 at 5:28 PM on May. 1, 2009

• They eat roaches, spiders, and sometimes mice!

***

While they do spook me for a second (cause they're so fast!), I think I would totally freak out if I saw a centipede/millipede that was big enough to eat a mouse!!! Eww! LOL :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:56 PM on May. 1, 2009