My baby won't sleep on his own!

My baby just turned 4 weeks old today, and has been sleeping in bed with my husband and I since we brought him home from the hospital. We are having a hard time trying to get him to sleep in his own bed, and have no idea what to do. We lie him in there and he usually cries the entire time, he has not slept on his own yet. I have let him cry for over an hour a few times, but then his cry begins to sound painful, I don't know what to do. Please help!

MillerTime622

Asked by MillerTime622 at 5:31 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried laying him in there when he's just about to fall asleep but not all the way asleep yet? He might cry but he might also be too tired to fight it for long.
    Anonymous

• Babies are not old enough for CIO (Ferberizing) until 5-6 months of age. I would not continue to let him CIO at this age, it won't do you any good and will just upset and confuse him.

I'd suggest getting an Armsreach Co-Sleeper Bassinett. That way he's still next to you but still kinda in bed with you (as far as he's concerned). Then gradually I would go from having the bassinette side down to putting the side up, then to moving it away from your bed and then to trying to put him in his own crib.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:42 PM on May. 1, 2009

• We had to swaddle my middle son until he was 7 months old...it just made him feel secure. Have you tried anything like that?
    Anonymous

• Well my son is 5 months and he falls asleep to a bottle most nights... I'd say maybe try that... But more then likely he's just so used to being in the bed with you and dad... I read in a magazine once to put something that smells like you in their bed and that should help... I did try that a few times with my oldest it didn't seem to work but it might for you...
    days_mommy

Answer by days_mommy at 6:03 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I don't know the answer to this, but I do know that letting a 4 week old cry for over an hour ISN'T the answer. Check out the book, The No Cry Sleep Solution.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:21 PM on May. 1, 2009

• He is only 4 weeks old of course he likes to sleep with mom and dad, but one thing you can do that might work is to use your car seat, place him in the room with you guys, by now he is used to your scent's and sounds that you make in your sleep, once he is comfortable in his car seat move it slowly away from you guys, As soon as you have him by the door he should be able to start moving into his crib. Every baby is different, so what works for one won't work for another, it's like a huge puzzle and we are forever trying to figure it out!

Good luck!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:29 PM on May. 1, 2009

• my 1 1/2 wk old thought she was gonna do the same thing. someone suggested to me putting one of my shirts in her cradle..i put my wife beater over the mattress w the sheet and she's slept sound in her bed for 2 days now..she doesn't wake up screamin to get into bed anymore..of course i have her swaddled and wait till she's dead asleep before i move her.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 6:50 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Let him sleep where he's safe, happy, and actually sleeping: WITH YOU! Don't make him suffer for long periods of time for something as pointless sleeping alone. Humans need comfort to sleep. A baby is most comfortable with his parents. He's still a newborn. Being alone is a scary thing for him. I'd recommend The Baby Book by Dr. Sears.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 8:51 PM on May. 1, 2009

• it's not 'safe' for our newborns to sleep w us..if you're a heavy sleeper, you could accidently roll onto baby and smother him.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:27 PM on May. 1, 2009

• The risk of smothering your baby is only there if you're drugged or under the influence of alcohol. Countless studies and pediatricians confirm its safety. She already said that the baby has been sleeping with them.... I don't think he's been smothered.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:49 AM on May. 2, 2009