• In the Spotlight:

Anyone else allergic to their Cat?

I have been to the emergency room between 2-3 times a year because my years swell shut. I also get severe hives and rashes. I have terrible mucus drainage. I went to a specialist a few weeks ago and after all my tests I found I have severe allergies to just about everything. Except foods. Anyway. My cat ranked number three on a list of about 30 things. I love my cat. He is a persian named Hank. He is beautiful. I Now keep him out of the bedroom. Bought a two air purifiers and a hepa filter vacuum. Will that be enough or will I need to give him up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Pets

• i allergic to my cat and i just take a daily allergy medicine, clairiton, or zyrtec. they work for me, i break out in hives and get a stuffy nose and all that.
    Anonymous

• My mom is, but she won't give up her cats. All of which had been MINE at one point. She was also allergic to her finches, but wouldn't give them up either, untill she had to. She gets allegy shots.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 11:08 PM on May. 1, 2009

• i was horribly allergic to my cats but not my dogs. i refused to give them up. three years later i am severely allergic to my dogs and not the cats. allergies can change. i do know this, for both cats and dogs, the whiteor lighter colored ones dont aggravate your allergies as bad. i dont know why or how, but i know it is true. i have two long haired little dogs and i nuzzle and love on them all the time, the other black dogs and dark colored cats set me off as soon as i get near them.
    devonsmom

Answer by devonsmom at 6:57 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Im allergic to mine. I vacuum 3xs a day and brush them during shedding season to keep fur from floating around. Its not every day I have the allergies, maybe once a week so I pop a benadryl to control it. A filter might help. It wouldnt hurt to try. GL
    AngelicDevil80

Answer by AngelicDevil80 at 7:12 AM on May. 5, 2009