Non-Christians: Are you bitter?

I see a lot of posts on here from non-Christians completely bashing Christians and Christianity. (of course, I see a lot of bashing coming from Christians as well, so it's not a one-way street by any means)

What I am wondering is, did you have a bad experience with a Christian and/or a church that caused you to be bitter in this respect?
Is this what turned you away from God/Christianity? I know several of you just never felt God, (so that part of the question isn't directed to you :-) )

This is not meant to be a debate by any means, I am asking in complete respect and love for your beliefs, it was just something that I have always been curious about. I am in no way intending on trying to convert you or prove you wrong in any aspect, I am just wanting to know.

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 5:44 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not bitter, and my "turning away" was nothing as dramatic as the idiot telling a little old lady her mother went to hell for reading Harry Potter, or the "kind souls" who repeatedly insist that I'm not a Christian because I'm too stupid to get it. It was history. That plain and simple. After studying how things actually happened, and the machinations that went on behind the scenes, I became disillusioned with any residual "what ifs" I had left.

That is also the source of frustration. I acknowledge and accept everything about my faith - that it considers death in battle the only way to "heaven" while the majority of us will never see it, that portions of it were co-opted by Hitler when he threw our religious leaders in concentration camps and stole their libraries, even that there are prison gangs exploiting it in the name of white power. It bothers me when others refuse to admit the faults in their own faith.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:54 PM on May. 1, 2009

• well i did have a really bad expeience with a christian church and i wont go back ..... i am not a christian and i dont plan on me talking my childern that they have to believe in one thing and one thing only.... i was rasied up wiccan... and i still kinda live as a wiccan but not as i did when i was little , i am more an athest ( i probably sleep in wrong but my bad) i believe in dinos and i do and have always question more then i think i should because it makes alot of people mad it u ask a question and they dont agree with it .......and as a note alot of wiccan belong in god and other high powers.... see i will probably get alot of rude nasty comments about this and it doesnt matter what other people believe and think i should believe but not everyone is alike..... i am aslo a full blooded native american and me saying i am a wiccan or athest might not be right but its somewhat had i was rasied and how i think ..
    trickyplus2

Answer by trickyplus2 at 5:56 PM on May. 1, 2009

• No, not bitter. I left because I didnt believe anymore. Then I found out some things that didnt sit well with me and that made me sad and it did make my world shatter but it never left me feeling bitter or angry,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:03 PM on May. 1, 2009

• What I am wondering is, did you have a bad experience with a Christian and/or a church that caused you to be bitter in this respect? I cannot say I have had a 'bad' experience with a church or Christian person. I have been immersed and Christianity full fledged since the day I was born.  I have seen it ALL when it comes to Christianity. I know the good and bad. I am not bitter towards it in anyway. I hope I haven't seemed bitter...because I am really not!!! The one thing I can say is, I do have bitterness towards Christian churches. It had no effect on me deciding to leave Christianity, it just is a really really hot button issue with me. I have been to hundreds of Churches and have yet to find one that I can't find fault in. I know my spirituality thrives without the negative effect of a church.  Is this what turned you away from God/Christianity? cont.......

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 6:11 PM on May. 1, 2009

• No. Ultimately it was my soul that led me to my need to have a lot of questions answered that the Bible couldn't do and after years of reading and growing, I just couldn't relate or have faith in a religion that I found so many flaws in and knew I couldn't consider myself Christian anymore.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 6:15 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I've had tons of bad experiences with christianity in general, but I do not consider myself bitter. I wonder why it is people always seem to assume that I am an angry bitter person with a chip on their shoulder. That's annoying to say the least. Tend to agree with not panicking.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:35 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I don't think I'm bitter. And I try to not bash or be disrespectful. I think everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. I am not 'against' Christianity, and in fact I am quite fond of the teachings of Christ. It's just that my interpretation is such that most Christians would not consider me to be Christian. It's not so much that I 'turned away'... it's more like I just don't meet the 'belief criteria' to be considered a Christian.
    Quite honestly my only bad experiences with Christianity have been online, and even those have been 'differences of theology' (ie. some think I'm misled by Satan because I'm not Christian, I completely disagree, nothing left to do but drop the conversation!) In real life most of my friends are at least nominally Christian and I have no issue with that at all. I don't think I'm bitter... I just think that I found a path that suited me more. No hard feelings though!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:44 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I'm not bitter.

Its just hard to not react to some of the insensitive, ridiculous things that "Xtians" say on these boards. I would have the same venom in my typing for anyone who spews forth hate and intolerance,regardless of the religion.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:11 PM on May. 1, 2009

• And yeah, some pagans/atheists/etc do pick on the Xtians, even the nice ones that aren't pushy or mean..

That sucks!
    ozarkgirl3

• I'm not bitter. And I didn't have a bad experience. I just couldn't stand all the contradictions that are in the bible and I had more questions then answers when I was a christian. I began to search and research and found a religion where I agree with all og the beliefs and it makes my heart soar everytime I think about them.
    I try not to bash christians. I know there have been times that I have posted things that have twisted a few pairs of undies, but it is because I am truely curious and am trying to understand people better. I don't mean to piss people off, but I will stand up for myself or anyone I think is being picked on.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:56 PM on May. 1, 2009