How to keep him from putting things in the trash?!

Within the past 5 minutes I've gotten our food, toys, and a sippy cup out of the trash can. My 18 month old recently discovered this "fun" game. He is autistic, so it's hard to tell what he can and cannot understand. Thanks!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 6:05 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For now, put them where he can't reach them. It will take time for him to understand that what goes into the trash does not come back out - and having to fish needed and wanted items out will make that take longer.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:23 PM on May. 1, 2009

• My son does this all the time. If there is anything on the floor we'll usually find it in the trash can later that day. I usually just tell him "no, don't throw that away" and after I change his diaper i'll give him the diaper to throw away by himself. He's starting to understand only trash goes in the trash can. I'm not sure what all your son understands but maybe try telling him yucky things go in the trash but only call actual trash yucky.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 6:48 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I lost a cell phone that im pretty sure must have went into the trash! Gotta love those terrible twos! lol. But I moved all furniture and stuff and never did find it. lol
    beingamomrocks1

Answer by beingamomrocks1 at 10:07 PM on May. 1, 2009

• i would put the trashcan on the washer or somewhere he can not reach it my son went thru this i guess about 1 and 1/2 its oh so normal next it will be the toliet, just buy a toliet lock from walmart can also get a trachcan with a lid that locks hes probably not strong enough to open it.. its the fun of mommyhood.
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 8:48 PM on May. 2, 2009