British Airlines...wipe Israel from map to accommodate..Seriously??? (Please, read article before commenting)

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=77588479239&h=ZAMR4&u=kkfMT

Shaneagle777

Asked by Shaneagle777 at 6:14 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• So, because some of the passengers just can't stand to even see Israel on a map, they've removed it? How about telling them to put on their big boy pants and deal with it? Israel is there... don't like it...oh well! I mean, they don't want to offend the Muslim passengers, but what about the Israeli passengers... wouldnt it offend them that their country isn't recognized on the map anymore?
    I really can't grasp anti-semitism... I just can't. What bad thing have Jews ever done to anyone??? The Muslims hate them... Hitler tried to eradicate them.... the Egyptians enslaved them...what have they ever done that was so damn offensive??
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 6:27 PM on May. 1, 2009

• The map is bad, but the second part - firing the flight attendant because she refused to be submissive to the male flight attendants and wear a head covering on certain flights - that is insane.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:32 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Yeah... I was outraged about that too, NotPanicking. It's one thing if she was Muslim and not wearing one... but a non-national on a British flight not wearing one, that's against her religious freedom.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 6:36 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Ok this is craziness and if this is what is happening in other places then with time I see it happening here as well.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:46 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I think the airline is being insensitive and ridiculous! Taking a country off of the map just b/c the passengers don't like it? Seriously?

As for the stewardess...well, thats a gray area. When traveling to other countries, you are required to follow that country's laws. Including when you are over the air-space. As religious law is in place in Saudi, then I can understand the need to follow its rules while there (no matter how briefly) And, as an employee of the airline, she was assigned to that flight route. You can't pick and choose when to do your job and when not too. And to only assign male attendants to that route would certainly open up the airline to discrimination suits (by the men). I can understand her feelings on having to wear a scarf and disregard rank while there, but having a job means sometimes having to do things you don't like.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:35 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Brandy:

I have one good reasons most don't like Israelis. Look at what they've done to the Palestinians and gotten away (are STILL getting away with it, for that matter) with. IMHO they are the silent aggressors and then when the world turns to watch them, America pities them. I say America because only America fully supports them with ANYTHING and EVERYTHING they do. They get away with murder, and nothing. No repercussions. I don't think that calls for getting taken off the map, I'm just answering your question as to why the general population has an issue with Israel. I was always taught to be wary of the people who pity themselves, who play the victim. This is what Israel shines at doing.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and to answer the OP's question, if you don't like the airline's rules, don't fly with them.  Simple as that.  Don't take our American socialist principles globally.

Anonymous