can a 7 1/2 month baby have water, and how much is ok?

tatmum

Asked by tatmum at 6:24 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes she can have water. my ped. told me i could give my daughter water when i started giving her juice. but my daughter would never drink water by itself. i had to put a little juice in it for taste. just watch and make sure she doesnt strangle on it
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 6:28 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I asked my doctor how much water was too much. I didn't want to deplete her minerals by flushing her system. She said that I would have to give her an extremely large amount of water to cause any problems. Like more that I am supposed to drink in a day. My daughter got about 8 ounces a day between 6-12 months and now gets closer to 16 ounces at 14 months.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:41 PM on May. 1, 2009

• babie should really only have formula or breastmilk until they are a year...if they are thirsty they might as well be getting the nutrients...there's nothing in water except to fill them up...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:57 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Low body mass (infants)
    It can be very easy for children under 1 year old to absorb too much water, especially if the child is under nine months old. Because of their small body mass, it is easy to take in a large amount of water relative to body mass.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:59 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Can you give some, sure. Does she need it? No.

Mine used to have about 16oz of juice/water mixed each day at that age. Our pediatrician knew about it and had no problem with it. But that was for my boys.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:17 PM on May. 1, 2009

• You can offer her a couple of ounces of water a few times a day. Some babies need some water when they start solids.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:24 PM on May. 1, 2009

• It's ok to give some with meals... especially on a hot day. I've talked to diff. pediatricians about this. The dangers are when they're given cups and cups of it. Right now my almost 8 month-old drinks a few sips out of the sippy... I only put a couple of ounces in it, and most of it ends up on her shirt... But I'll give her a little more as she gets better because it's getting hot. But they don't need much.

EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:46 PM on May. 1, 2009