bad diaper rash?

my one yr old son seems to have a diaper rash around his tummy. it isnt quite spreading, but not getting better. we have been trying out different diapers since he's been leaking in bed a lot, but have found parents choice to be the ones to stick with right now since they are inexpensive and offer a lot in a box. I dont know if it's the diaper or not because he's worn parents choice a long time and never had a problem. and I'm not sure if it's a food allergy because he hasnt tried anything new lately. he is drinking milk but doesnt seem to have a milk allergy because he's been eating yogurt, cheese etc and never had a problem. I am treating it with a&d ointment. he's only had a bad diaper rash but not like this. I'd appreciate some advice! thanks!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 6:29 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son did that with parents choice. try changing the brand and see if it goes away if you can. good luck :)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:30 PM on May. 1, 2009

• my son did that too but i put Vaseline on his belly before putting his diaper on. the diapers were rubbing his belly and causing an irritation.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 6:32 PM on May. 1, 2009

• well we have gone through packs of huggies and pampers before going back to parents choice. I did notice the rash before opening the box of parents choice. so I'm wondering if maybe one of the other brands "started it" and now parents choice is making it worse? there's a lot of diapers to go and I'd hate to waste them and buy other ones, but if it doesnt go away at all, I guess I'll have no choice
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:33 PM on May. 1, 2009

• i understand what you mean momma-diapers arent cheap thats for sure. how long has he had the rash? maybe you should have his dr look at it just to be on the safe side.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:34 PM on May. 1, 2009

• hmmm yes rubbing against his belly...I noticed the Natural Fit diapers did that to my son, and now that I think of it I think those were diapers he was wearing when I first noticed redness. vaseline before putting on the diaper is a great idea. this is why I wish I stuck with cloth diapers, but he outgrew most of what I had and I couldnt afford a whole new set
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:34 PM on May. 1, 2009

• My son is 2 and a half now but when he was 2 he got the worse diaper rash I had ever seen and nothing was taking care of it...It ended up being a yeast infection and he needed nystatin cream for it. I tried all of the creams and diapers there where but the nystatin worked. So i would ask your doctor and try that. Good luck!!
    meagen22

Answer by meagen22 at 8:57 PM on May. 1, 2009

• well I do have nystatin cream from a past issue with yeast on the neck. because it caused redness the dr. gave me a mixed prescription with nystatin, zinc oxide and *something else". if nothing else works and I've eliminated milk, diaper brand and detergent irritation I'll try switching the ointment too
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:23 PM on May. 1, 2009