bad diaper rash?

my one yr old son seems to have a diaper rash around his tummy. it isnt quite spreading, but not getting better. we have been trying out different diapers since he's been leaking in bed a lot, but have found parents choice to be the ones to stick with right now since they are inexpensive and offer a lot in a box. I dont know if it's the diaper or not because he's worn parents choice a long time and never had a problem. and I'm not sure if it's a food allergy because he hasnt tried anything new lately. he is drinking milk but doesnt seem to have a milk allergy because he's been eating yogurt, cheese etc and never had a problem. I am treating it with a&d ointment. he's only had a bad diaper rash but not like this. I'd appreciate some advice! thanks!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 6:29 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Even if has eaten yougurt and cheese that does not rule out a milk allergy. It could just be a mild allergy, or an allergy to whole milk. Many people who are allergic to milk are NOT allergic to yogurt b/c yogurt has acidiphlus that helps in digestion etc. (even helps them form the flora to digest milk). I would look at recent food changes.
    If you've always used parents choice and its not given you issues b/f but you are offering milk now and not b/f then maybe change the milk (try lactaid whole milk or if that doesn't work goat milk). It takes 2-4 wks sometimes to see an allergic reaction.
    In terms of the leaking -- I did find that my children would change brands as they got older and their body changed and the brand that worked for one was not necessarily the one that worked for the other. So its a laundry vs money up front and well that's a case by case thing.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:37 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Parent's choice diapers caused what looked like oozing boils and sores all over my son's bottom. It could be the diapers. If you keep treating it and it gets worse try switching diapers and if that doesn't help call you doctor and see if he or she can help.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 6:38 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Also some rashes that will not heal are actually YEAST RASHES, which need a whole diff. treatment.
    It depends on how bad it is? Does it get better and come back? Have you tried a diff. kind of cream??
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:38 PM on May. 1, 2009

• okay well my experience as a parent with two boys.....bordeaux's butt paste is the best diaper cream to treat a bad rash that wont seem to go away with anything else. As for diapers....really and truly the best way to treat a rash is to let them run around naked for an hour or so, so that the air can get to the rash some. But really it's up to you Rachel....as for diapers, i doubt that has anything to do with it, unless you mean the absorbancy, and in that case i would try huggies or pampers, they may be a little on the expensive side, but it's worth it if your little one is rash free every week. -Sincerely Cyndi "D
    SuperbowlBoys

Answer by SuperbowlBoys at 6:39 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Well, what you do is start eliminating things. I'd start with Dairy. Take that out for 2-3 days and see what happens. if nothing. then switch diapers. washed the clothes with something new? has he came in contact with anything new? Hope you figure it out!
    AshleyKaluza

Answer by AshleyKaluza at 7:50 PM on May. 1, 2009

• well since I have no car right now and have been indoors most of the day I just let him run around in diapers, and SO has gotten a new detergent but i havent used it on my son's clothes since I just use what we've had. so i dont think it's a detergent issue. Ashley you have a good point. I'll see if it is a possible milk allergy. I'll cut out the milk and just keep his calcium in the diet through yogurt, cheese, vegetables etc. if it seems to get better that's probably what it is and I'll switch to a different type of liquid other than dairy milk. but I noticed the beginning signs of the rash, but only on his belly, when using this "ultra leakguard" diaper, I cant remember if it was Luvs or pampers. I still have th package. SO thinks it could have been them since they arent too breathable. I started putting a&d ointment on the rash and hopefully improvement will show
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:20 PM on May. 1, 2009

• It could be the diapers or a reaction to laundry soap or even something in the air. Try new diapers, LUVS and Huggies were the only diapers my son could use without getting a rash. Try some Aquaphor on the rash. It is a little pricey but a little goes a long way.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:56 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I think Carrina was.....3 or 4 months, and broke out in a rash, first her stomach, then spread ALLLLL over. I thought she had heat rash. but took her in, and she actually had a virus. Never heard of it! But the Dr. said sometimes the virus gets rid of itself through that way, I guess. So he gave me some meds for Cari and it was gone in 2 days!! So really a rash can be ANYTHING!but honestly....if it's in his private areas, then i don't think it's a diaper rash. I mean is it all over his stomach, or right above his diaper? Maybe his diaper is just rubbing that area over and over and over, causing irritation. Try folding it under, then straping the sides, so nothing is touching it. Good luck!!
    AshleyKaluza

Answer by AshleyKaluza at 8:48 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Also one more thing, are you putting that ointment on his rash on the stomach? If so, I'd definitely stop that! You can google it anywhere, lotions, perfume sprays, ointments, diaper creams, etc, can make the rash worse by not letting the rash "breath". and when bathing....just make sure you rinse sid real well.
    AshleyKaluza

Answer by AshleyKaluza at 8:52 AM on May. 2, 2009

• it might be a yeast rash. My son had those alot. My pedi had me use foot fungal cream, as it has the same ingredient as the yeast rash stuff but way cheaper. I get mine at walmart.
    DIANE463

Answer by DIANE463 at 2:42 PM on May. 4, 2009