What should I do?

Ok, so my son has had a cough for to days now. We took him to the doc, and they gave hive albuterol and predinizone((sp?) which is a steroid). She didn't take any blood or anything. She was only going to give him an antibiotic until she heard him cough.
The problem is, we can't get him to take the predinizone. He takes the albuterol only becuase it is given to him in a nebulizer. His cough hasn't gotten any better and he does seem to go from being cold to being really hot to the touch. Should I seek a second opinion or what? Thank you in advance for any help.
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 6:45 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does he have Asthma that they're giving him Albuterol & Prednisone ??
    Anonymous

• He might have a respritory infection , get second opion to be on safe side ..
    Anonymous

• Yes. Either take him back and ask for tests to be done or go see someone else.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:51 PM on May. 1, 2009

• It is just an upper respiratory infection. My son had it for almost a month. He will get over it.
    Anonymous

• I would work on getting that prednisone into him.....that steroid is going to clear this up much faster. The doctor may have heard some wheezing, which would explain the asthma medications here of the albuterol nebulizer and the prednisone. The albuterol is good for short-term and immediate response to get breath in, but the prednisone will work on the overall condition much better. The two work well together. One thing I might mention though is to watch the child with the albuterol. I don't know about anyone else, but that stuff makes me very hyper.
    Anonymous

• BTW....my doctor has never taken blood work for breathing problems either. They do frequently monitor oxygen saturation with the little machine that clips on the finger (pulse oximeter).
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I had asthma for a while when i was little (I haven't had any problems with it for years) so I know what hey are usually used for. And, no, he doesn't have asthma, as far as I know. She said his chest sounded clear until she heard the cough. I think I might keep trying with the prednizone and wait till Monday and if it's not better, I'll call her back.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:45 PM on May. 1, 2009

• This will sound really mean to some, but I would hold him in my lap (get hubbs to help) hold down his arms, hold head back and squeeze nostrils shut and dump the medicine in. He will have to swallow some of it. He will definitely freak out, but he will at least get the meds. And tell him unless he wants to take his medicine that way everytime, he better just take it. I would rather do this than have to admit him to the hospital, and they will use needles to get the medicine in. Now if he is a baby, you can still do this, just nix the talking to afterward.
    Anonymous

• when my daughter didnt like taking meds my hubby and i used to have to hold her down and put it in her mouth blow on her so shed swallow it and then calm her down and now she realizes that what we give her is good for her, but thats how we handle it.
    lienna

Answer by lienna at 11:40 PM on May. 1, 2009