Homemade soaps

I've asked before on posts, but havent' got an answer. Does anyone know anything about these melt and pour soap bases, like they sell on ebay? How does it work? Can I just add my stuff to them? Or do I need to make homemade soap with the lye and stuff?

WiseMom1970

Asked by WiseMom1970 at 6:55 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I've never done this....but I wonder if essential oils would be helpful in the fragrance portion of making these?
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 7:16 PM on May. 1, 2009

• This doesn't help but at least you'd know your post isn't being ignored. I don't know, sorry...
    djmommy2

Answer by djmommy2 at 7:40 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Have you search on line in making crafts? I have found everything else when I had a question.
    seasidegrandma

Answer by seasidegrandma at 8:11 PM on May. 1, 2009

• There's a great website that has help on making a lot of different things, check out www.instructables.com
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 8:48 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I don't make soaps but I have dabbled with lotions and I have made a successful business making my own scented candles and tarts. I can tell you there are many wonderful places where you can buy kits with everything you will need, or find recipes online that you can do. The key is your fragrance oils and essential oils. Most places will list what are in their bases many contain jojoba oil, aloe, shea butter, avacado oil, etc. you can pm me and I can give you some wonderful sights to go to, or google bath and body making supplies. Don't buy from ebay, unless they are a reputable company that specializes in wholesale of soap bases. Check feed back too. Soap molds are ok to buy on ebay, I buy them all the time for specialty tarts.
    CasualCandles

Answer by CasualCandles at 10:58 PM on May. 1, 2009

• when I was little i remember helping my grandma make soap. It took all the ashes fron the wood burning stove from all winter and pouring water though them to get the lye. Then rendering the fat from a freshly butcherd hog. And I remember we would grind leaves from plants found in her herb garden for the fragrence. And one othe thing I cant remember right now. But she would cook it all together for a while and put it big pan and when it was cool she would cut it like a cake and that would be the soap. Sorry I cant remember all the hows and whys. Nut that may give you a good place to start.
    chedhead

Answer by chedhead at 1:01 AM on May. 8, 2009