My baby girl is 3 and a half weeks and I am thinking of weaning her off of breast milk. I am feeling really guilty and having a hard time with her throwing up the formula. Does anyone have any advise for me please?

meagen22

Asked by meagen22 at 6:57 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had a difficult time weaning my son. What I tried was giving him half breast milk and half formula.Not mixed together but one at a time. You should know that spitting up is normal when they make the switch because of the different substance.Also the bottle allows much more air in so you might want to try burping in the middle of feeding (for instance let her drink 1oz and then burp.and then another oz and burp) just until her little tummy can start to handle the formula.The other thing is she might be lactose intolerant so you might want to run it by your pediatrician.Hope this helps.
    CiCitheAvonlady

Answer by CiCitheAvonlady at 8:48 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I swear, I'm NOT going to bash. I was wondering WHY you want to stop nursing. The reason I am asking is because if there is a specific issue that you are having, maybe we can help you resolve it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:59 PM on May. 1, 2009

• any reason for weaning? maybe try gentle formula like gentle ease or something
    Anonymous

• she obviously isn't tolerating the formula well and in the mean time is losing nutrients....if you are blessed to be able to nurse her, you should continue to do so. It is in her best interest...he immune system is SO vulnerable right now, just give her what was meant to be given to her...if , when she is older you want to switch thats fine, but right now she really needs your milk...keep it up mama.....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:00 PM on May. 1, 2009

• okay same,.why do you want to wean her this early?? and if she is throwing up the formula..she needs your milk.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 7:00 PM on May. 1, 2009

• More spitting up is normal on formula due to getting more air
    Anonymous

• It doesn't matter why. That wasn't her question
    Anonymous

• My advice: Keep her on the breastmilk.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear... but if formula is upsetting her stomach, it's the right thing to do.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:04 PM on May. 1, 2009

• ... but if formula is upsetting her stomach, it's the right thing to do.

ditto.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:06 PM on May. 1, 2009

• The best advice is to keep nursing. There is absolutely no reason to wean her. She isn't tolerating the formula so she won't be just fine. The guilt is there for a reason. What you're thinking of doing is very harmful to your daughter and has no justification. So just stick to the good stuff. It's the best thing for her. You wanting to wean her isn't nearly as important as her NEEDING your milk. It's the most gentle of all. The first weeks are tough and I'm assuming that's why you want to stop. But trust me, it gets better. Join a breastfeeding group here on cafemom, message me, or check out kellymom.com, breastfeeding.com, or llli.org. Any of these places can help you target and fix any problems you're having. That's the best advice. No one can tell you how to make formula more tolerable or less harmful.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:08 PM on May. 1, 2009